xfmr ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

pookcat

Installing a new 45kva transformer on the 4th floor of a hospital and there is no building steel or water pipe near. Can the sprinkler pipe be used?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Many sprinkler systems use a type coupling that actually isolates sections of the piping so they are useless as a ground plus Sprinkler Codes in many areas prohibit using them as a ground

jumper

Many sprinkler systems use a type coupling that actually isolates sections of the piping so they are useless as a ground plus Sprinkler Codes in many areas prohibit using them as a ground

I gave NFPA 13 a quick search, but I could find a prohibition, I think it is there somewhere: I just did not find it.:ashamed1:

I am most familiar with sprinkler head placement and hanger rules.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Many sprinkler systems use a type coupling that actually isolates sections of the piping so they are useless as a ground

Victaulic fittings are actually UL listed for bonding, so I don't know what fittings you are refering to.

As for water pipe, it is only permitted as a ground electrode if the grounding electrode conductor is connected within 5 feet of where the pipe enters the building

Status
Not open for further replies.