3/4" RGS pipe & 4 11/16th KO box

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Can you use this type of box with that pipe or do you have to have a box with hubs? THanks.

If it is inside you can use a 4 11/16 box but you must use a locknut on the inside and outside as well as a bushing.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The inside locknut is not required if you use a metalic bushing.

(assuming you meant grounding bushing) i believe you can use the metal bushing if it has been listed as a lock nut as well. As far as i know you have to have a lock nut and a grounding bushing.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inside locknut is not required if you use a metalic bushing.

I agree, this is no different than having an EMT connector with one locknut. Once you get to #4 and larger conductors that bushing must be of the insulating type.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
(assuming you meant grounding bushing) i believe you can use the metal bushing if it has been listed as a lock nut as well. As far as i know you have to have a lock nut and a grounding bushing.

Someone please correct me if i am wrong.

I agree, this is no different than having an EMT connector with one locknut. Once you get to #4 and larger conductors that bushing must be of the insulating type.

You wouldn't need a bonding bushing would you, unless it was a service entrance?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you were going through concentrics/eccentrics with circuits over 250 volts and they weren't listed for grounding/bonding you'd need to have ground bushings.

I don't know if 4 squares and 4 and 11 boxes have concentrics/eccentrics listed for grounding though...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you were going through concentrics/eccentrics with circuits over 250 volts and they weren't listed for grounding/bonding you'd need to have ground bushings.

I don't know if 4 squares and 4 and 11 boxes have concentrics/eccentrics listed for grounding though...

Wouldn't that only be if you were using the conduit as an EGC?

tkb

Double locknuts are required only if over 250 volts to ground and eccentric/consentric knockouts are used, per 260.97 Exception 2.

If double locknuts are not used, grounding bushings would be required.

250.97 Bonding for Over 250 Volts

For circuits of over 250 volts to ground, the electrical continuity of metal raceways and cables with metal sheaths that contain any conductor other than service conductors shall be ensured by one or more of the methods specified for services in 250.92(B), except for (B)(1).

Exception: Where oversized, concentric, or eccentric knockouts are not encountered, or where a box or enclosure with concentric or eccentric knockouts is listed to provide a reliable bonding connection, the following methods shall be permitted:

(1) Threadless couplings and connectors for cables with metal sheaths

(2) Two locknuts, on rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit, one inside and one outside of boxes and cabinets

(3) Fittings with shoulders that seat firmly against the box or cabinet, such as electrical metallic tubing connectors, flexible metal conduit connectors, and cable connectors, with one locknut on the inside of boxes and cabinets

(4) Listed fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.