Damage protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Bundled wires around a gas pipe (in a garage vehicle path). Any easy way of correcting this?

Attachments

• DSCN3985.jpg
    DSCN3985.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Shut the gas off and open that union in the gas pipe. Then push the cables to the back side of the pipe and re-connect the union.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Rob's suggestion would be the preferred method, but a wood member (2 x 6 ?) routed from one wall to the other with the NM behind it would be compliant, I believe, and would allow you to leave the gas pipe alone.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Shut the gas off and open that union in the gas pipe. Then push the cables to the back side of the pipe and re-connect the union.

Great minds think alike. Wish mine was great!:lol:
That was my thought as well, depending on how hard it would be to break that rusty union apart and get it to reseal.

kwired

Electron manager
Why does moving the cables behind the gas pipe offer more physical protection other than at the point directly behind the gas pipe?

Besides physical protection this would just look better if run in raceways preferably RMC, IMC, RNC, or EMT. Flexible raceways tend to look bad unless only used for short distance like 4-6 feet max.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Why does moving the cables behind the gas pipe offer more physical protection other than at the point directly behind the gas pipe?

That's where I think the OP and the rest of us are talking about. If a vehicle hit the cable at the gas line it would pinch/cut the cable against the pipe.

That's right before the explosion.:lol:

USMC1302

Is that garage enclosed? Must say I have never seen a gas meter allowed to be inside a structure. Where is the regulator assembly? That would bother me more than the cables.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is that garage enclosed? Must say I have never seen a gas meter allowed to be inside a structure. Where is the regulator assembly? That would bother me more than the cables.

In older homes around here all of the gas meters are on the inside, typically in the basement.

USMC1302

Thanks Rob, I have not seen that. water and electric meters sometimes around here, but have not seen gas. If the meter regulator "vents" which they seem to do sometimes here, you might be chasing a non-existant "leak".

Jon456

I don't think any gas ever escapes from a properly functioning natural gas meter. The purpose of the vent on the side of the regulator is to allow outside air into the non-gas side of the regulator's diaphram to provide the reference pressure for the regulator.

tonype

ca. 1960's home - don't know what this was allowed (garage is a tuck-under), though I see it quite often. Today we require a 3' clearance to vehicle path. Client was made aware of the impact hazard - ideally, it should be relocated outside.

iwire

Staff member
Regulators do not normally vent gas, but if they get a diaphragm leak gas will come out the vent.

Some areas require indoor gas regulators to be remote vented.

Vent Lines

Venting requirements and codes vary from County to County, State to State. Always follow local code requirements in venting regulators. Vents not only provide a leak path for gas when a diaphragm ruptures but also allows the diaphragm to "breathe" and function properly. If a vent is restricted a regulator's performance will be adversely effected and tend to "hunt" or not properly control the pressure. Do not use excessive long runs or amounts of fittings in plumbing vent lines. If piping becomes excessive due to physical limitations of the jobsite, bush to the next size up of pipe to increase the stack effect and reduce frictional losses. Never reduce the vent piping size from that of the connection on the regulator. Always turn outlet of the vent line downward so as to limit the effects of outdoor weather and debris. Install a bug screen on the vent outlet to prevent insects from nesting in the line. Insure that bug screens are not painted over. In venting to a roof in an area that commonly gets winter snow fall, make sure the vent discharge is sufficiently above the roof line to account for a snow layer on the roof. Always insure venting is done in a safe area, away from any fresh air intakes, windows, and people. When venting propane, take extra care to insure no pockets of gas can collect in low-lying areas, REMEMBER, propane falls to the ground, and natural gas floats away!

http://www.bryandonkinusa.com/gasregulator_basicinstallation.htm

kwired

Electron manager
So many of us think the cables are OK except for the one little section where they do not pass behind the gas pipe? We are also concerned about that one section being subject to physical damage from a vehicle possibly running into it?

I am not too concerned at all about the vehicle damaging it, especially in the corner with the gas piping there also. What about whatever gets hung on the walls, or stacked against it, or whatever. The entire length of these cables is subject to physical damage, they are in reach of children, pets, just plain simply in an area that is more subject to damage than if they would be installed in same manner but near the ceiling instead of floor.

hurk27

The entire length of these cables is subject to physical damage, they are in reach of children, pets, just plain simply in an area that is more subject to damage than if they would be installed in same manner but near the ceiling instead of floor.

So you don't have any lamp cords in reach of children or pets?

I have never had a fear of NM as in subject to damage like so many inspectors do, I ask them how many lamp cords thay have laying on the floor, then I ask them which can be damaged much easier, lamp cords or NM? I have seen a few cheep lamp cords short out and light up like a heating element without tripping a good breaker, but only a couple NM that didn't trip a bad breaker, I would say before we fear NM we should be fearing all the lamp cords we have laying around on the floors in reach of children and pets.

But do we?:happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.