Splices in boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle126

In a three gang switch box in a residential home where you may have say 5, 14/2 conductors entering the box, can you twist all the grounds together then either use a buchanon or a green wirenut then have just one ground wire long enough to attach to three switches instead of having three seperate ground wires? Also how about the black feed wire, can you have a very long feed wire and remove sections of insulation from the wire and wrap around for three switches?

stickboy1375

I've done both methods, i prefer pigtails, but to each his own, i just always hated coming back to install a dimmer and of course it was the switch in the middle. :)

TobyD

Doesn't the code specify using spool wire(Thhn) etc.. when a pigtail is made?I always use the excess from the romex.I prefer a pigtail too,but ,as you described that saves a wire nut and a few pennies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Doesn't the code specify using spool wire(Thhn) etc.. when a pigtail is made?I always use the excess from the romex.I prefer a pigtail too,but ,as you described that saves a wire nut and a few pennies.

The code doesn't say anything like that. As far as saving a few pennies, I think you would be losing pennies on labor having to take the time to skin the wire in just the right place and wrestle that same wire around multiple screws. You could just pigtail faster, IMHO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Doesn't the code specify using spool wire(Thhn)

I have never seen that code section however there are some who will argue that the wire in nm is not marked so it cannot be used as a splice. If any inspector ever turned that down I believe I would refuse to do any work in his area. That borders on wacko...:thumbsdown::lol:

I also prefer individuals wires but for years I loop the wire as the OP explained.

kwired

Electron manager
I have and still use both methods. Each switch box is always different and whatever I deem necessary at the time is what gets done. I kind of prefer 1 lead looped around device terminals most of the time. The more conductors you try to place in a wire connector the more chance there is of one pulling out that = callback. On the EGC you usually never know it pulled out.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Doesn't the code specify using spool wire(Thhn) etc.. when a pigtail is made?
No, NM is a Chapter 3 wiring method, so you can use it's conductors for a pigtail.

There is no prohibition from looping through a box unbroken and terminating the looped conductor on a device. Bear in mind that the single loop counts as a pair of conductors in calculating box fill, since you need 6" from each entry to terminate to a device and an unbroken loop of 12" counts as two. (314.16(B)(1) and 300.14)

Eagle126

So if you have a four gang switch box and you loop your hot wire do you count that as four when doing calculations?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There is a requirement to mark the wire every XX inches with its type, size, and a other stuff. I don't know what XX is. But I do know you could cut a 6" pigtail from a marked spool of THHN and get a section with no, or at least insufficient, labeling. NM cable is THHN conductors, but they are not marked. If you were using a longer length, it could be an issue. But I think its easy to get a 6" unlabeled pigtail.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Five cables and three devices means that when pigtailing you would need a minimum of 8 conductors (7 with a Greenie) under that wire nut. Do they make wirenuts listed for 8 conductors?

glene77is

Can we?
Many people say we can't strip NM and use it in a raceway
due to the marking requirements.
(BTW, I do use NM and MC for pigtails, just a code issue.:p)

iWire,
In these cases, I like to use the NEC Grey Codebook, not the Red one. :p
With conductor marking coming about 24" apart, it is not practical to comply.
There are such Bigger Fish to fry when it comes to compliance and safety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.