Bonding a Metal Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I think I have this right, but my brain is fuzzy today, so here goes. I have a circuit ran in EMT between metal boxes, but in "smurf" (ENT) from first metal box to panel. The first box is only being used as a pull box, no splices or terminations. The second box has a receptacle mounted on a raised cover. I have a bonding jumper from the recep. to box. Since one box is bonded and connected to the other by the EMT, I wouldn't have to splice the EGC in the first box just to bond there with no other splices in that box. Do I have this right?

USMC1302

Bill, your wording is confusing me a little, but I'm probably fuzzy today too. What I think you are describing is a circuit from the panel to the first metal box in smurf tube and EMT from there down stream? The second metal box has a recept that you bonded to the box. Where is the EGC from the panel to the first box?

pete m.

I think I have this right, but my brain is fuzzy today, so here goes. I have a circuit ran in EMT between metal boxes, but in "smurf" (ENT) from first metal box to panel. The first box is only being used as a pull box, no splices or terminations. The second box has a receptacle mounted on a raised cover. I have a bonding jumper from the recep. to box. Since one box is bonded and connected to the other by the EMT, I wouldn't have to splice the EGC in the first box just to bond there with no other splices in that box. Do I have this right?

Sounds right to me.

Pete

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Bill, your wording is confusing me a little, but I'm probably fuzzy today too. What I think you are describing is a circuit from the panel to the first metal box in smurf tube and EMT from there down stream? The second metal box has a recept that you bonded to the box. Where is the EGC from the panel to the first box?

I told you my brain was fuzzy. I should have stated that I do have an EGC run with the ungrounded conductors. The first box is just a pull box, going straight through to the second box, where it is bonded to the box because of the cover mounted recep. That help clear it up some?

Thanks to the all that replied!

Status
Not open for further replies.