No flex, emt or 500/700 series wiremold below 8 feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
I would like help in specifying the use of rigid or min 2400 series wiremold for use in educational institution below eight foot.

Rigid and 2400 series just better!

thanx

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor
San Francisco has rule of no flex accessible below eight feet.
At the kids zoo you will never see emt below eight feet, only rigid in the public areas.

At my institution we don't use 500 or 700 series below eight feet and I am not partial to EMT. But there is no way to right that except as a local standard, is that right?
Thanks again!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How exactly is it requested then? just local standard or the idea of "subject to damage"?

I believe it is called out by designers. Traffic areas are certainly subject to damage and although emt would be compliant I believe it is speced for rigid simply because of extra safety.

Local areas may have rules also... never heard of it around here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The job specs for schools and prisons often have this type of requirement. In a typical public school or prison, exposed EMT with in reach will not last very long. In a school it is just kids pulling or hanging on it, and in the prison it makes a good weapon when you pull it off the wall and hide it in your cell.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've seen a similar spec for mechanical rooms in commercial buildings, no EMT below 8'. Really pretty silly when you have a panel mounted on the wall at 6'6" to the top and need to use an 18" RMC nipple changed over to EMT at 8' when piping out of the top.

John120/240

no EMT below 8'. Really pretty silly when you have a panel mounted on the wall at 6'6" to the top and need to use an 18" RMC nipple changed over to EMT at 8' when piping out of the top.

It looks like an exception to the specification would be in order. The spec. does

make sense when talking about conduits that come out of the floor from below

grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.