2 neutrals, 2 hots on a 2 pole breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
feeding 2-20 amp 120 volt receptacles in the same box.
Is this legal or do I have to use only 1 neutral for both receptacles?
I can't see why I can't use 2 neutrals but I wanted to see what you guys think.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Perfectly fine however, if they are on the same yoke see 210.7, the same requirement as a MWBC in 210.4

Roger

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Perfectly fine however, if they are on the same yoke see 210.7, the same requirement as a MWBC in 210.4

Roger

No, not on the same yoke. 2 duplex receptacles in the same box.
Customer wants them on a 2 pole breaker so I wasn't exactly sure that we could do that and pull private neutrals to each duplex.
Thanks!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If this is a MWBC, and you have a 2p breaker feeding the (2) Duplex Receptacles with a shared neutral , Why would you want to pull an extra neutral?

If you have 2 circuits with 2 neutrals, why would you need the handles tied? unless the owner wants it that way just for safety.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
If this is a MWBC, and you have a 2p breaker feeding the (2) Duplex Receptacles with a shared neutral , Why would you want to pull an extra neutral?

If you have 2 circuits with 2 neutrals, why would you need the handles tied? unless the owner wants it that way just for safety.

Because we are in communication buildings and other similar customers and they require it as well as pulling equipment grounds (no relying on the EMT allowed.)
Owner wants it on a 2 pole. Normally we would not.

ceb58

Because we are in communication buildings and other similar customers and they require it as well as pulling equipment grounds (no relying on the EMT allowed.)
Owner wants it on a 2 pole. Normally we would not.

That's the wonderful thing about Motorola's R-56 standards. No MWBC, cannot use race ways for EGC and the list goes on.........

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
I opened that standard after you sent it to me. Never saw such requirements in my life!!!

Welcome to me and Ceb's world.......
R56 is almost a can't win situation, you have to watch everything you do, cause trust me. They do!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I thought the original question was was it ok to install (2) seperate circuits with (2) seperate neutrals to (2) duplex receptacles in the same box fed by a 2 pole breaker.

There's not an issue with this is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.