Patterns in the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What are some patterns you have noticed in the NEC? For example, the raceway and cabling articles 3xx.2 are always definitions. Can you think of any more?

iwire

Staff member
.1 scope

.10 permitted

.12 not permitted

.30 supporting

.104 conductors

I am sure they may be more or exceptions this being the NEC and all. :p

raider1

Staff member
If an Article has specific definitions applicable only to that Article the definitions will be located in .2 of that Article, but not all .2 sections are definitions.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Rarely does every article follow thru on the code except in Chapter 3 for raceways and wiring methods. There will be many articles where the pattern changes. .01 is about the only one that is consistent throughout. .10 and .12 uses permitted and not permitted are not the same throughout only where they apply.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
For Chapters 2 through 8, the only two that are mandated according to the latest NEC Manual of Style are xxx.1 - Scope and xxx.2 - Definitions. That said, there has been remarkable progress in attempting to create a "Dewey decimal" system in other Chapters/Sections. For example Chapter 5, Arts 501 through 506 have been fairly well conformed.

sandsnow

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for

The use of the phrase "capable of being locked in the open position" has been standardized in many sections
410.141(B)
422.31(B)
440.14 ex 1
600.6(A)(2(3)
620.51(A) ex 1
I copied the above from IAEI changes book

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks a lot guys. :cool:

I am in the process of fine tuning an exam prep course, and realized it's kind of hard to explain how to find things quickly in the NEC. For me, forums force me to open the book and read to discuss a topic, which is my method. I wanted to cover basics, and knowing patterns would be a good start. Then I got to looking and saw fewer set-in-stone patterns to just about anything I had assumed was universal.

Keep 'em coming. :)

marti smith

.2 and .3 toss back and forth the label for other articles while ch.3 does not have this. The bulk of ch.3 has .6 as listing requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.