208 vs 240

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Is it ok to run a piece of equipement with a label for single phase 208v on a single phase 240v system? Its a restaurant toaster.

iwire

Staff member
Is it ok to run a piece of equipement with a label for single phase 208v on a single phase 240v system? Its a restaurant toaster.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I have installed restaurant equipment specifically tagged not to connect to 240.

The elements will run much hotter and that could be an issue. Even if not a safety issue it could effect performance.

renosteinke

What does the nameplate say, exactly?

NEMA standards generally specift a 10% tolerance, based upon the nameplate rating. That's why there are so many different ratings found on nameplates.

If the nameplate says '208,' then that appliance can be used with any voltage between 188v and 228v, actual measured voltage.

Another approach is to look the implications of Ohm's law. With resistance, voltage variations have an effect that is "squared." That is, doubling the voltage results in four times the heat being produced. That toaster will put out a hell of a lot more heat at 240 than it will at 208. Sounds like a recipe for burnt toast ...

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Is it a location where you can put a buck/boost transformer nearby? I remember using some fairly small tx units on some machines needing full 240 instead of 208. These tx had numerous voltages they could handle.

iwire

Staff member
Is it a location where you can put a buck/boost transformer nearby? I remember using some fairly small tx units on some machines needing full 240 instead of 208. These tx had numerous voltages they could handle.

I agree, it would take just a single, very small bucking transformer. Fairly inexpensive.

stevenje

I agree, it would take just a single, very small bucking transformer. Fairly inexpensive.

Why not go to a restaurant equipment supply company who deals in used equipment and swap out the toaster for one with the right voltage. There is a ton of used restaurant equipment available out there.

220/221

It will just toast a little faster.

Personally, I'd point out the "problem" and tell them, "In my professional opinion, it will be fine"

208/240....whatever it takes. ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
r
The nameplate says 208v 15.5amps.....it has a Nema 6-20p on the end of the cord

IMO they need to use 208 volts, a transformer or a new toaster. As an installer it's beyond my scope as to what they plug in. I would tell them first however. :happyyes:

220/221

r

IMO they need to use 208 volts, a transformer or a new toaster. As an installer it's beyond my scope as to what they plug in. I would tell them first however. :happyyes:

Good answer but....would you hardwire it/something like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.