Fixture Canopy Doesn't Cover Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm replacing hanging fixtures on porches at a condo complex. The fixtures are attached to boxes on the ceiling and the ceiling is made of wood. The old fixture has a canopy that measures nearly 5 inches. The new canopy measures just 4-1/4 inches. Many of the holes cut around the box are larger than the new canopy.

There must be a product made (or something I can make) that I can install on the ceiling to shrink the ceiling hole, almost like a reducing washer. I have seen ceiling medalions as small as about 10 inches in diameter that might work but I would prefer something much smaller and less expensive. The ceilings are painted light blue and the fixtures are black, so something black would be ideal.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have taken a nice piece of wood and cut a 4" hole in the middle and mounted it to the ceiling. Use a 3/4" board if you can. Basically make your own medallion.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Arlington lite box blank cover

Arlington lite box blank cover

Drill out 3 1/2" or 4" box size with hole saw, the textured plastic holds paint real well, I don't know at the moment the diameter but they have covered the oversize holes I've used them on and are way less than 10" (maybe 5" or 6")

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
If touch up paint is available I sometimes patch around the box & paint over. I have done the homemade medallion too, as Dennis mentioned. IF canopy will cover, I often just patch around the box with fire caulk & then put light up. Also, a 6 x 6 metal box cover can be cut out & painted; intstall around box & mount light to it. A 4 11/16 cover may work for some smaller canopies too.

Last edited:

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I have taken a nice piece of wood and cut a 4" hole in the middle and mounted it to the ceiling. Use a 3/4" board if you can. Basically make your own medallion.

My recollection is that any exposed flammable ceiling finish (wood) between the edge of the canopy and the box is a violation unless covered with a non-flammable material.

Mark

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My recollection is that any exposed flammable ceiling finish (wood) between the edge of the canopy and the box is a violation unless covered with a non-flammable material.

Mark

Yes, the box edge is required to be flush with a combustible surface like wood. I guess that you could still use a box extender to enclose the conductors.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
True, this forum has been a lot of help to me. I sometimes see things totally new or things I'm rusty on. I've never posted anything here that didn't get at least a few helpful replies.

Howard Burger

Regarding exposed wood as on the medallion Dennis suggested, I've used the foil duct tape to provide a fireproof surfacing onto the wood, under the canopy where it doesn't show. Real good sticky adhesive on that foil tape.

Volta

Well there you go. There is not a day that goes by that I am convinced that this is the best time in the history of the world to be alive.

Heck yeah!

Regarding exposed wood as on the medallion Dennis suggested, I've used the foil duct tape to provide a fireproof surfacing onto the wood, under the canopy where it doesn't show. Real good sticky adhesive on that foil tape.

Good idea.

mkgrady

Drill out 3 1/2" or 4" box size with hole saw, the textured plastic holds paint real well, I don't know at the moment the diameter but they have covered the oversize holes I've used them on and are way less than 10" (maybe 5" or 6")

I settled on this method. It works well. I paid 2 bucks for each blank plate and cut a 3-/2 inch hole. THe plate is made by Carlon.

Status
Not open for further replies.