Complete Construction Inc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone on the forum worked for this company, Complete Construction Inc?

They're out of Louisville, Kentucky, and are the general on a project here in California.

I'm trying to find out something about how they are to work with, how they are about paying their contractors, etc.

Supposedly, they're electrical contractor bailed on them at the last minute, and they're asking me to quote the job and get started ASAP

Thanks

cdslotz

I have not heard of them, but I'm in Texas, but it sounds fishy to me.
You might talk to the EC that bailed.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Has anyone on the forum worked for this company, Complete Construction Inc?

They're out of Louisville, Kentucky, and are the general on a project here in California.

I'm trying to find out something about how they are to work with, how they are about paying their contractors, etc.

Supposedly, they're electrical contractor bailed on them at the last minute, and they're asking me to quote the job and get started ASAP

Thanks

welcome to google...... looked at their physical facility, a modest unassuming suite in a building appearing suitable for small professional
offices....

two reviews so far:
=================================
"Bad news"

"Caution, very unrealiable company, many problems with theit sub- suppliers posting leans on propertry worked on, and /or lwas suits."
-February 26, 2010 by Mark Miller in Louisville, KY
Slow customer service! - Complete Construction Co Inc Louisville, 40299

Slow customer service!

SLOOOOW ! They do Not care!
September 25, 2007 by Allen West in Louisville, KY

how deep do you want to dig?

by the way, your question is currently number ten on my page of google
results.... welcome to the transparent world.

usually, "last minute bails" somehow are wrapped around a combination
of absent progress payments, and someone cutting losses.

Last edited:

renosteinke

I can't speak to the firm you mention ... but I can speak to the situation .....

I once had a brief relationship with a GC whose previous EC had left him. Well, it didn't take long to figure out why. I was not able to work with the guy either. Here are some of the little gems that I encountered, over the course of several jobs:
a) New tilt-up, dead of winter, no plumbing. Was pointed to another jobsite down the street, told to use their porta-potty;
b) Every job had charge-backs- my favorite was for two cases of ceiling tiles (to replace one tile);
c) A continually contentious relationship.

It was amazing .... the sweet-talk ended the moment I showed on the site to work. That's when the tone suddenly became 'you're our serf.' I especially loved it the night (working 18-hr. days to get his tail out of a jam) he told me in no uncertain terms: remember, you work for ME. Not after that job, I didn't. Sure, he begged, wheedled, pleaded ... but, at the same time, it was 'ding-ding-ding' with the backcharges, and the certainty that the butt-kissing would instantly revert to abuse the instant we had an agreement. I do electric work, period. I don't need the aggrivation of daily threats of being replaced, etc.

Which, of course, leads to three 'tells' I have regarding relationships.
The first is that EVERY time someone has dangled the 'future work' carrot it has been a dead end.
The second is that EVERY time someone has started out by telling me how 'big' they are, the relationship has been more trouble than its' worth. It seems that when they say 'we're big' what they're really saying is 'you're little and we can pick on you.'
Finally, EVERY time someone has made a point of making sure I know how nice a car they have, how big a house, etc., they have also considered it perfectly reasonable to expect me to live out of the back of my truck and wear thrift-store cast-aways; they certainly aren't going to pay enough for me to do otherwise.

When it comes to doing 'favors,' I want to first see their car, their home. Only then can I decide who needs to give whom a break.

growler

Thanks

I have not heard of them, but I'm in Texas, but it sounds fishy to me.
You might talk to the EC that bailed.

How does an EC bail out at the last minute? If they have been awarded the job and signed a contract they are pretty much committed. If they haven't been awarded the job and haven't signed a contract then they didn't bail.

My guess is that they have an EC back in Kentucky that didn't want to make the trip to California. I would check to see if this GC is even licensed to work in CA or if they are subbing from another GC.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
This may be a little off topic, but what I don't get is, everyone is complaining about the costs of projects, yet a job in CA is using a contractor from KY. You have hotel costs, per diems to pay, how much cheaper was he than a local contractor? or is this for a national chain?

How does an EC bail out at the last minute? If they have been awarded the job and signed a contract they are pretty much committed. If they haven't been awarded the job and haven't signed a contract then they didn't bail.

My guess is that they have an EC back in Kentucky that didn't want to make the trip to California. I would check to see if this GC is even licensed to work in CA or if they are subbing from another GC.

They've been licensed as a general in CA for many years. This is a job on a nationwide chain in a shopping mall. It's not unusual for these jobs to be managed by out-of-state contractors.

I don't have any bad gut feelings (which have been pretty accurate in the past), but I thought I'd see if anyone on the forum had done business with them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
They've been licensed as a general in CA for many years. This is a job on a nationwide chain in a shopping mall. It's not unusual for these jobs to be managed by out-of-state contractors.

I don't have any bad gut feelings (which have been pretty accurate in the past), but I thought I'd see if anyone on the forum had done business with them.

Awww they're mall rats. That's different.:happyyes:

cdslotz

This is a job on a nationwide chain in a shopping mall. It's not unusual for these jobs to be managed by out-of-state contractors.

Super-Red Flag!!!

If you do that job, it will be done in 30 days, you will send in your first billing, which will probably be the only billing, they will leave town to the next job, and you will 1) have spent all of your money upfront, 2) they will avoid your phone calls, 3) they will deny all of your changes, 4) you will file liens, 5) if you're lucky, you will get paid in 120 days (less your changes-take it or leave it)

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Super-Red Flag!!!

If you do that job, it will be done in 30 days, you will send in your first billing, which will probably be the only billing, they will leave town to the next job, and you will 1) have spent all of your money upfront, 2) they will avoid your phone calls, 3) they will deny all of your changes, 4) you will file liens, 5) if you're lucky, you will get paid in 120 days (less your changes-take it or leave it)

well, i did a small build out for a local contractor here, that googled like this one...
there were three progress payments, four counting the retention.

first one was 60 days late
second one was 90 days late
third one was 90 days late.
retention was 10 months late.

the only reason i got paid at all was i had some influence the other subs didn't have.
the plumber, to the best of my knowledge, still hasn't been paid, 2 years later.

out of area contractor, bad local reviews, physical office is not appropriate for a
general contractor.... no way in hell i'd touch it.... if ya do it, let us know how it
works for you.....

make *sure* your preliminary lien notices are filed correctly and whatnot, but
you knew that already..... i'd have the wholesale house deliver directly to the
job, so they have direct recourse as well, and before i signed anything, i'd do
a credit check on the firm.

good luck...

renosteinke

A bit off-topic, but I think this thread-jack is in order ....

Look at Craigs' list, or any other such 'bulletin board.' Very few actual employment ads, but plenty of variations on the 'we're doing lots of places, need lots of guys with different licenses, but we'll actually run the job' theme.

Gee, the Uniform Commercial Code has been around since the Great Depression, and folks are still trying to finess their way around every generally accepted business practice in order to gain advantage - at your expense. Just what do you thing licenses, bonds, and liens are for?

More often than not, there is a "Realtor" with a property management license behind the scheme. These ego-driven slumlords in training somehow think that their septic pool smells like a flower garden. Heaven forbid that they follow the same rules as everyone else .... actually hire a contractor ... and pay their bills. Oh, no, everything is 'too expensive' and your payment will come, but only after 'something else' happens. The larger ones conceal their delays behind layers of 'corporate' paper shuffling.

I want to suggest what seems to be a perfect defense against these bottom-feeders. The defense depends on how honestly you can answer 'yes' to this question: "Am I REAL contractor?"

Ever notice how these scamsters avoid the real contractors in your town like a roach avoids a bright light? They deliberately seek out the weak, the desperate, the ignorant, and the foolish. Then, surprisingly enough, they tell you that their predatory practices are necessary because of the bad experiences they've had with contractors! I submit that is because they deliberately choose to not deal with a professional operation.

well, i did a small build out for a local contractor here, that googled like this one...
there were three progress payments, four counting the retention.

first one was 60 days late
second one was 90 days late
third one was 90 days late.
retention was 10 months late.

the only reason i got paid at all was i had some influence the other subs didn't have.
the plumber, to the best of my knowledge, still hasn't been paid, 2 years later.

You might just be talking about KPRS Construction, huh....... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.