Rotary hammer to drive ground rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sii

I could swear I've read on here how some of you guys use your rotary hammer to drive a ground rod. I can't find anthing with a search, did I imagine that? If it can be done, is there a specific attachment you use or what's the trick? Rod is 1/2".

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I like to use an electric jackhammer if I have a lot of rods to drive, or having to drive in hard or rocky ground. The orange box rents both the jackhammer and ground rod driver attachment. If the ground is hard the rotary hammer is pretty slow, but beats a sledgehammer! The worst thing about the jackhammer is toting it up a ladder to put it on the ground rod. Once your there though, it's easy.

dhalleron

My friend uses his Bosch roto hammer without a bit to drive ground rods. He just slips the drill over the rod and hammers away. It makes a short job of it. He has been doing it this way for years.

I bought a new Bosch roto hammer (I forget the model) and some bits. The salesman told me that driving rods without a bit can damage the drill and void the warranty. I plan to go back later and buy a ground rod driver bit since they were out of stock. They cost about $60 - $70 if I remember.

Once in a pinch, I used my ?” Milwaukie hammer drill and a hole saw without a pilot bit. The hammer drill could not be set to hammer only so it tried to spin the rod some. It took longer than with the big roto hammer, but less effort than swinging a sledge hammer. I'm sure the drill couldn't take much of that abuse, but it was over 90 degrees at the time.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I like to use an electric jackhammer if I have a lot of rods to drive, or having to drive in hard or rocky ground. The orange box rents both the jackhammer and ground rod driver attachment. If the ground is hard the rotary hammer is pretty slow, but beats a sledgehammer! The worst thing about the jackhammer is toting it up a ladder to put it on the ground rod. Once your there though, it's easy.

hilti makes a gripper that works in their demo hammer that grabs the rod, so you can drive from ground level and re position it as needed... it's pricey tho, so as i don't drive tons of rods, i have a regular driver,
and a ladder...

480sparky

Rookies. ;)

If you're gonna drive ground rods, drive 'em right.

Hilti1.jpg

Hilti3.jpg

Hilti4.jpg

Hilti2.jpg

stew

I use my Bosch Demo hammer aall the time with the ground rod adapter.I drive my rods at 45 % or a bit less all the time and I dont need to stand on the ladder to get em started that way. I am just tall enuf to get to the switch and let er drive. I would never drive a rod any other way.Bought mine used for 125$ on craiglist and the adapter is the Hilti one in the last pic. picked that up at a local rental shop and paid I think $ 35 for it. One of the best investments and time and labor savers there is.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Nice! The handle locks it onto the ground rod? Beats dragging a heavy jackhammer or roto hammer up a ladder! Don't think I could get the boss to spring for that though!

that's the one i was mentioning... hmph. the showoff. ;-)

ya notice he took a picture of it when it was brand new....
that's 'cause with the price they get for it, he's going to
frame the picture and put it on the shop wall..

USMC1302

1793: I researched this a little last time a similar thread came up, and I did not see an attachment for SDS+ specifically...not sure if there is an adapter that would work for you. I think it might be a lttle too much to ask from that size tool.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.