Rotary hammer to drive ground rod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurk27

I have a Milwaukee spline drive hammer drill that will go right over a 5/8" rod with no problems, I have been using it to drive rods for over 15 years and its never had a problem, the nice thing is if the rod starts mushrooming the rotating splines will keep it trimmed off, now with an SDS you shouldn't do this because the bits are held away from the back of the bit holder by the key lock into the side of the bits and a rod can punch a hole into the back of this and damage the drill gears, but I figured since the spline drives take the chisel bit all the way in, and since hammering against a harden chisel doesn't hurt it, how can a soft Iron rod?.

My manual driver is a 20# sledge hammer head with the face of it welded to a 3/4"X3' black pipe, it works good, but nothing like the spline drive hammer drill.

stew

And 25053(G) states that the ground rod can be driven at 45 degrees or less so what is your point? a lot of the soil in these parts is extremely rocky and very dense. I have never had any inspector take issue with this and I agree the rods are nearly useless anyway and i shall continue the practice until you make me stop. lol

I have a Bosch roto hammer ( SDS + ), does anyone know if there is a "Ground Rod" attachment for this smaller sized bit?

There is no attachment for the SDS +, but you can make one by threading a plug into a rigid coupling, and using the chisel bit. I did this before I found an SDS MAX on Craigslist. It does put a lot of strain on the tool, which you will notice.

If you can't find or afford a bigger roto-hammer right now, you might want to invest in a longer drill bit and a single-jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.