Armored Cable & 7' rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Article 320.23 (A) & (B) (2008) is about AC cables installed in accessible attics. does this article apply to a garage with open walls?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Article 320.23 (A) & (B) (2008) is about AC cables installed in accessible attics. does this article apply to a garage with open walls?
Is an open [unfinished] wall an attic or roof space?

Hmmm... I have to say: No, it does not apply. :slaphead:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
OK, how about for NM cable? article 334 does not have a section that prohibits installation of NM cable in a garage that is open wall (no sheetrock).

Inspectors of this forum, do you cite such installation a violation?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thank you for the link.
But if a jurisdiction doesn't have amendments then the NEC is silent on this?

jumper

Thank you for the link.
But if a jurisdiction doesn't have amendments then the NEC is silent on this?

No, it is then up to the AHJ to determine "subject to physical damage". It becomes more subjective.

334.15(B) Protection from Physical Damage. Cable shall be
protected from physical damage where necessary by rigid
metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, electrical metallic
tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or other approved
means. Where passing through a floor, the cable shall be
enclosed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,
electrical metallic tubing, Schedule 80 PVC conduit, or
other approved means extending at least 150 mm (6 in.)
above the floor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In my opinion BX, MC or NM does not need extra protection when run parallel with the studs. The article that Jumper mentioned is when NM cable passes thru a floor exposed on a wall. That is different then being in a wall nailed to a stud. It is more protected inside the stud cavity.

jumper

Dennis that section is not only for cables passing through a floor.

The first part basically says : It is up to the AHJ to decide when additional protection is required.

I agree that cables stapled down the stud are fine, but an AHJ could say otherwise under this section.

Finite10

In my opinion BX, MC or NM does not need extra protection when run parallel with the studs. The article that Jumper mentioned is when NM cable passes thru a floor exposed on a wall. That is different then being in a wall nailed to a stud. It is more protected inside the stud cavity.

I agree. Run inside the stud bay and you're fine. 6' or less from an attic access needs a running board. 1 1/4" from face of stud, as if the garage were to be rocked. 334.10,A,1

but! I always think gas cans, mowers, car gas tanks... etc. - would bring in 334.12,B,1. The customers always stockpile mowers and gas cans in front of the panel!

Just don't run NM on the face of any framing member at any height were it can be rocked in the future (unless T-bar ceiling is to be installed in the dwelling 334.12,A,2).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Also... OP'er did mention residential, but not attached or detached. Isn't there an issue per 334.10(3) when a detached structure, i.e. not a dwelling. Thus NM must be run concealed in minimum 15-minute thermal barrier if the garage is a detached structure.

jumper

Also... OP'er did mention residential, but not attached or detached. Isn't there an issue per 334.10(3) when a detached structure, i.e. not a dwelling. Thus NM must be run concealed in minimum 15-minute thermal barrier if the garage is a detached structure.

2011 fixed that:

334.10 Uses Permitted. Type NM, Type NMC, and Type
NMS cables shall be permitted to be used in the following:

(1) One- and two-family dwellings and their attached or
detached garages, and their storage buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.