Siemens loadcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

I never encountered this situation and need advice please:

A few months back, I've purchased a Siemens 2424 loadcenter MLO. I installed it as a sub-panel in a dwelling. However, there is a problem with panel cover and insert. I tried to put the cover on but the insert, after knocking out the breaker cover tabs does not align with the bus. I tried to turn it upside down and still doesn't align. I unscrewed the two screws from the insert that connects to the cover, turned it upside down, and reattached it to the cover. I was able to align the breakers in the opening of the cover, but I now need to fill in some of the openings of the insert with plastic blanks which cannot be used because they align directly over the main lug terminals.

I believe what happened was that someone purchased this panel before me, returned it. and I ended up buying it. While this person had it, they shifted the bus bar platform upward in the box, using the pre-drilled hole and slots on back. Unfortunately, I didn't check the cover and insert on the cover to ensure they align with the buses before I installed it. I can't adjust it now because I wired in the feeder and landed all the circuits to the breakers. I don't have enough wire length to try to shift the bus platform.

Did anyone run into a problem like this and how did you handle it? Also, does Siemens make a special order insert to align with the bus platform if it's been shifted from the original position? Thanks again!

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
How far off are the guts from aligning with the cover? I have a hard time believing anyone would take the time to modify the guts in a panel. It doesn't make any sense.

It sounds like you need to shut power off to the panel, remove the one or two screws holding the guts down and verify they are or aren't in their original position. If they aren't, there's no easy way out other than doing it right and putting it where it needs to go. Then extend your short wires as necessary.

Cleveland Apprentice

Off by 4 breakers (1 pole breakers) I'm probably going to keep the plastic filler plates in place. I still have 4 unused breakers as spares. This is a learning experience for me to check and make sure the bus bars line up properly with the cover. Thanks.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I remember some older ITE panels (now Siemens) where there were two breaker twist outs, but there was no breaker bus lug under that twist out -- just a crossbar from neutral bus to neutral bus. If you twist those slots out, you'll have to put a filler plate in to cover them as they are not usable. I also have two recent CH 12 slot panels, but there are 14 breaker twist outs. Same thing -- if you're not careful you can twist out two slot covers that can not be used.

So does this panel cover have 24 twist outs or more than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.