Commercial Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I don't have much of a problem reaching residential customers and even doing small projects. I do run an ad in the News Paper and a free ad magazine, but how do I better reach the commercial clientel? Any idea or advice?

cdslotz

You won't get any commercial work running ads. Commercial requires getting to know GC's and slowly building relationhips with them doing one small job at a time, then larger jobs, etc.
Cold calling GC's might get you the opportunity to bid a job, but you are just a number and they will still give the job to the guy they have confidence and a relation with.
I have friends that have really large successful EC businesses, they all started out working as electricians, then went into the office, learned estimating, project mgmt, etc. That's where they build relationships. Working with GC estimators and PM's.
At some point they all went into business for themselves, and had relations established, jobs to bid, and contracts galore almost immediately.
I doubt that is the route you are taking right now, so you will have to do it the hard way. Find one GC and start bidding and maybe he will throw you a bone. Then perform well and work toward the next one. Then that will open other doors with other GC's the more work you successfully perform. Better yet, a relative in the biz.

Good luck

satcom

There are companies that track new projects and list the current bidding information, for a fee, but you may still need so help with putting the bid together, if you expect to be considered, it all costs money, but without investing in the bid process, don't expect much.

"A little of a lot, is better then a lot of nothing" .JW.

bradleyelectric

Actually I'm not interested in commercial construction. I am in interest in reaching commercial businesses.

I've found the best way to start with that is to have business cards in hand and go to the type place you want to deal with and ask for who ever is in charge of the faucility and introduce yourself and hand them your cards. I still have some customers that I service today that I met 8 years ago when I did that. Remember work breeds work. I used to hand everyone around me a business card. If I stopped somewhere for a sandwich they got a couple business cards. I don't care who was at the register I would hand them a couple cards and say just in case you all need an electrician. I got a lot of work that way.

Benton

I've found the best way to start with that is to have business cards in hand and go to the type place you want to deal with and ask for who ever is in charge of the faucility and introduce yourself and hand them your cards. I still have some customers that I service today that I met 8 years ago when I did that. Remember work breeds work. I used to hand everyone around me a business card. If I stopped somewhere for a sandwich they got a couple business cards. I don't care who was at the register I would hand them a couple cards and say just in case you all need an electrician. I got a lot of work that way.

Great advice. Thanks:D

mtfallsmikey

Actually I'm not interested in commercial construction. I am in interest in reaching commercial businesses.

By all means reach out to commercial real estate property mgt. companies, who not only manage commercial office space, but retail (strip malls, etc.), warehouses, some small mfg. as well. Lots of large E.C.'s don't want to do smaller scale work like we have done on occasion.

bullheimer

i will second all above. and blue book has a free service too that can let you bid new const. but other than that, you just have to meet and greet. i had some magnetic cards made up once and stuck them on contractors vehicles at lowes and hd. i got maybe two calls on 100 passed out.
as said above, take that box of biz cards and get them gone. i could take some of my own advice too. my biz is in the toilet.

kennydmeek

Network. Hit your Chamber of Commerce's business card exchanges, Realtor Association functions, stuff like that. You can get known fast that way. "Pop bys" are good too. Drop by places with a cheap gift and a business card.

satcom

In some areas there are so many guys that got laid off or their plants just closed so they got their license bought a truck and bingo they are in business, and all that would be the American dream, except now there are so many contractors all trying to get the few jobs out there they cut each others throat to get a job, just last week a local market needed building lighting work done, he had over 20 guys begging for the work, he figured they were all around $10 or less an hour total cost, he asked me how could they stay in business, I said they don't many of the long time EC's have already packed it in and went to work for larger companies if they can find any hiring, the way I look at it things have to improve, over time, but who knows how long that is

satcom

do you even know how to price commercial work?

Yup, he may not know how to price it, over the years the commercial work has been good to us everything from mini malls to corporate high rise fit up work, and it all pays well, but you have to go that extra mile on commercial work, if you want a long relationship with them

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The difference between commercial work and residential work should be plain to most of you. They have a business to run, if they call and say they need a couple of lights replaced and you tell them that you can't get there til next week, they say thank you hang up the phone and call the next guy and the next guy may become their electrician for life.

Get involved with some of the local community stuff too. Rotary Club is one that is very tight about hiring fellow members. Help out hooking up the generators at the local street fair or fireworks show. Get your name out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.