Means of support for lighting fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinware

Installing new, and relocating 2 x 4 and 2 x 2 troffers in an office environment. 410.36(B) tells me that the suspended ceiling framing members that I am laying the troffers in, must be fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Also, the fixtures should be securely fastened to the framing members by mechanical means. I am independently supporting each fixture because it seems safer that way but I am also reading in some of the threads here on this site that independently supporting the fixtures is also in the building code. I am ignorant when it comes to the IBC, so could someone with more experience with the IBC help me find just where in the IBC this requirement is located? My state is on the 2006 IBC, but the only copy I have is going to be the 2009. Thanks for the help.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

thanks for raising that question. i'm used to installing in exactly the manner you are discussing. i've worked as an inspector, electrician, now as inspector again (after 20+ years back on tools) and i'm looking for the same code section! i know it was in the ubc, i'm getting familiar with ibc. i'm looking. someone knows.

tkb

I am sure what you are looking for is in the building code for your area.

In MA it has been added to the NEC MA Amendments.

410.36(B). Add a second paragraph as follows:
In addition to, or in lieu of, the mechanical fastening means, electric luminaires containing ballasts, other than simple fluorescent reactance ballasts, shall be supported directly to the building structure by wire, chain, or threaded rod of sufficient strength to carry the luminaire. Fluorescent luminaires shall be supported at each end of a diagonal axis of the luminaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.