Corner grounded delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurt33

I've read through several posts about this but couldn't find a good reason as to why this is even used. In 2001, the company installed a Delta Delta 13.8/480. Later grounded the B phase. No problems encountered. One of the buss ducts it fed had all the equipment grounded with ground rods. That same ground from the B phase is ran to the buss duct as well. If I wanted to remove the corner ground, what type of problems should I expect if any. And the main question is, WHY have a corner grounded Delta to begin with?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Hopefully the equipment is grounded by an equipment grounding conductor as well.
Back in the dinosaur days I was taught that the corner ground became "popular" when a nationwide industrial complex used it to reduce cost
on gear by not having to protect the grounded phase.

hurk27

I've read through several posts about this but couldn't find a good reason as to why this is even used. In 2001, the company installed a Delta Delta 13.8/480. Later grounded the B phase. No problems encountered. One of the buss ducts it fed had all the equipment grounded with ground rods. That same ground from the B phase is ran to the buss duct as well. If I wanted to remove the corner ground, what type of problems should I expect if any. And the main question is, WHY have a corner grounded Delta to begin with?

I noticed the way you mentioned that the buss duct was grounded by ground rods, first I want to explain that grounding electrodes do not provide a low impedance path for fault current, nor are they allowed to, without having a low impedance path a fault to a grounded piece of equipment would not cause a breaker or fuse to operate to protect a person from a shock hazard, having a phase or a center tap such as in a WYE bonded to all equipment grounds provides a low impedance path back to source, Electricity does not want to flow to Earth, it wants to return back to source, this maybe a transformer or generator, or other means of supply but not Earth.

Now there are ungrounded systems allowed in certain circumstances but not without a phase monitoring system in place, these are allowed only where having the system go down would provide more of a danger then having a phase go to ground, this is to provide redundancy so the first fault goes to ground and sounds an alarm to allow time to schedule a shut down to repair it without taking the whole system down, it also only creates a grounded system on the first fault, the second fault will still take out the OCPD.

SG-1

A sputtering ground fault is your worse case. One particular industrial complex with an ungrounded system had over 600 motors destroyed by a sputtering ground fault before anybody knew what was going on. :eek:

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Sematics

Sematics

A sputtering ground fault is your worse case. One particular industrial complex with an ungrounded system had over 600 motors destroyed by a sputtering ground fault before anybody knew what was going on. :eek:

SG-1,
Let's clarify this for threst of us.
By "sputtering" I take it to mean "stricking ground fault" as the intermittent contact to ground of an ungrounded conductor?

TT

hurt33

The buss duct is grounded by a ground rod. The same rod used to ground the B phase. The equipment fed from the buss duct all had grounding rods as well. I appreciate the responses.

jghrist

The buss duct is grounded by a ground rod. The same rod used to ground the B phase. The equipment fed from the buss duct all had grounding rods as well. I appreciate the responses.

OK, so a faulted bus duct will have a metallic path for return current, but if the grounding electrode conductor does not follow the same path as the phase conductor, you may still have a high fault impedance. If there is no EGC to the equipment fed from the bus duct, then this is a problem also.

Status
Not open for further replies.