Residential Backup Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhselectric

I have an installation where I have install the generator in the rear of the house and the transfer switch in the basement. I am coming out of the generator to a disconnect and then running PVC through the basement to the transfer switch. Since I have the disconnect outside, there shouldn't be a problem running inside the dwelling to the transfer switch, right? Also since the transfer switch is in the basement, I am coming out of the load side of the utilities meter down the house and to the switch. Is there any problems with my scenario?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have an installation where I have install the generator in the rear of the house and the transfer switch in the basement. I am coming out of the generator to a disconnect and then running PVC through the basement to the transfer switch. Since I have the disconnect outside, there shouldn't be a problem running inside the dwelling to the transfer switch, right?

Maybe :D. Unless your generator meets the requirements listed in 702.11, the "outside" disconnect must meet the requirements of 225.32, 225.36 etc.
Also since the transfer switch is in the basement, I am coming out of the load side of the utilities meter down the house and to the switch. Is there any problems with my scenario?

Again, maybe. The devil is in the details. If you are coming directly from the meter (without any OCP) to your transfer switch, that TS must be "service rated" and the install will need to meet Art 230 part VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.