Mini Resort Service Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KasseemF

Hello All,

I am doing an inspection og a mini hotel resort with 8 villas in its design. I have calculated a load of 127A on each villa considering all the demand factors for a residential load.

My question is in considering a overall service for teh property, is there a load factor after multiplying the 8 villas by 127A? That gives me 1016A.

Again what load factor if any do I use for this resort with 8 separate villas.

Thank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't think there is any factor you can figure in that will reduce the number, at least by code. It is what it is. It does seem very high though.

Personally, I would be going back and seeing if how the number came out so high in the first place. I would want to reduce it at least 3 amps per villa.

Why don't you tell us how you came up with 127.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello All,

I am doing an inspection og a mini hotel resort with 8 villas in its design. I have calculated a load of 127A on each villa considering all the demand factors for a residential load.

My question is in considering a overall service for teh property, is there a load factor after multiplying the 8 villas by 127A? That gives me 1016A.

Again what load factor if any do I use for this resort with 8 separate villas.

Thank you

I don't think you can use anymore demand factors if you have already used the one's in Part III. You would simply use those X the number of units. You may however use 220.84 and Table 220.84 instead.

Edit:If these units are separate units and not in one building, I don't think you can use 220.84 because that's for a Multifamily Dwelling and they wouldn't meet the definitions of a Multifamily Dwelling.

Last edited:

iMuse97

The results you came up with do seem high, but considering the fact that at a resort guests often arrive at about the same time can result in very high demand.

When I get to a destination on a weekend, I turn on/up/down the heat or A/C, the TV, the coffee pot, the microwave, and run the spa or jetted tub, all within ten minutes of arrival. And my wife does the same thing, on turning down the A/C if I turn it up, etc, etc. This can result in very high electricity usage, or a very short vacation, depending on my mood. :D

Not that code addresses arrival times of guests, but I'd hate to see the resulting chaos if the main tripped every Friday evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.