Fix for Adobe X and the 2011 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many of you may remember that adobe X would not work with the 2011 NEC PDF. It would open the first time and that was it. After that you had to call NFPA and get them to reset it-- well I have the answer so you can upgrade to ADOBE x

Download Adobe X and then open it. Go to edit on the menu bar and go to the bottom and choose preferences. At the top there are some categories- choose General. At the bottom is a checked box that says Enable Protected Mode at startup-- uncheck it and save it. :thumbsup:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Many of you may remember that adobe X would not work with the 2011 NEC PDF. It would open the first time and that was it. After that you had to call NFPA and get them to reset it-- well I have the answer so you can upgrade to ADOBE x

Download Adobe X and then open it. Go to edit on the menu bar and go to the bottom and choose preferences. At the top there are some categories- choose General. At the bottom is a checked box that says Enable Protected Mode at startup-- uncheck it and save it. :thumbsup:
Hmmm.... I posted that solution exactly 2 months ago: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=138233&p=1321917#post1321917

...and be alert... sometimes that option being unchecked doesn't mean it is truly disabled, as I experienced.

Another problem I've encountered is "can't load broker", which is essentially saying Acrobat cannot load the plugin. I've got it working for now, but am uncertain (read: don't recall) how "I" fixed it.

PS: For the unaware, it's Adobe's Acrobat X or the free Acrobat Reader X... not Adobe X.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I missed that post but I don't see it as what I wrote-- maybe I am missing something but the commands you have are not in my reader X
Perhaps... I don't know because I'm using Acrobat X Pro.

...and I forgot to put in the part about on the General settings (I seem to recall thinking about this after I posted, but I determined someone would ask if they couldn't figure out what I meant).

Here's what X Pro Pref's (... General settings :slaphead:) look like...

AcrobatXProPrefs.gif

WorkSafe

We don't like how the NFPA is producing their electronic standards. With the new Adobe format, it requires your computer to connect to a outside server to verify it's your computer that originally ordered and downloaded the subscription. Our problem is that our network will block outgoing traffic like that. I can download all the files I want, but can't open them.

Status
Not open for further replies.