SECTION 312.6 & 338.24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A 2" crouse-hinds alum. LB is rated for a maximum of three 4/0 conductors and the distance measured from the hub to the cover is 4.24" according to their website. I know, it doesn't seem right, but that's what it is. So it looks like the inspector is right.

Well I just pulled out a 2" pvc lb rated for 3- 4/0 and it is not quite 3" deep - inside dimension.

PURE

red tag, round 2

red tag, round 2

same inspector same set up, meter and panel are back to back on a 2 x 6 wall. I figured i lost round 1 so this time i took a piece of 4/0 SEU ALUM and made a nice sweeping 180 degree from bottom of meter to bottom of panel.
Now i received another tag for bending Radius 338.24. distance between connectors is 8" measuring straight across, the exposed cable is about 30" long.
His statement to me... cable is 1 inch wide, radius of the bend is 5 times, that would be 10" on the diameter.

second part red tag... 100 amp sub panel feed with 2/4 ser alum about 20 inches away can only be feed with an 80amp breaker not the QO2100 i am using. siting it is not service conductor but now branch circuit and must use 310.16 table 60degree chart (75amps).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
same inspector same set up, meter and panel are back to back on a 2 x 6 wall. I figured i lost round 1 so this time i took a piece of 4/0 SEU ALUM and made a nice sweeping 180 degree from bottom of meter to bottom of panel.
Now i received another tag for bending Radius 338.24. distance between connectors is 8" measuring straight across, the exposed cable is about 30" long.
His statement to me... cable is 1 inch wide, radius of the bend is 5 times, that would be 10" on the diameter.

second part red tag... 100 amp sub panel feed with 2/4 ser alum about 20 inches away can only be feed with an 80amp breaker not the QO2100 i am using. siting it is not service conductor but now branch circuit and must use 310.16 table 60degree chart (75amps).

How about posting some photo's?

Volta

A 2" crouse-hinds alum. LB is rated for a maximum of three 4/0 conductors and the distance measured from the hub to the cover is 4.24" according to their website. I know, it doesn't seem right, but that's what it is. So it looks like the inspector is right.

Well I just pulled out a 2" pvc lb rated for 3- 4/0 and it is not quite 3" deep - inside dimension.

But those fittings are 314, and the inspector is citing 312. Probably is, but is not necessarily a cabinet.

Maybe... have to see it. The radius could be compliant.

He is correct. SER ampacity has to be figured for 60 deg C. That piece is good for 75 amps.

kbsparky

... 100 amp sub panel feed with 2/4 ser alum about 20 inches away can only be feed with an 80amp breaker not the QO2100 i am using. citing it is not service conductor but now branch circuit and must use 310.16 table 60degree chart (75amps).

If it's that close, why not use a short section of conduit, and individual conductors (#3 copper, or #1 alum) and keep your 100 Amp breaker? I'd never use type SER cable on a sub-feed since they derated its capacity ....

Status
Not open for further replies.