Switch height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Shipman

What would be the standard switch height in a doctors office? This is in California. This is not a hospital. One of my guys said he had put then at 36"(center)on a job he was on.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Don't have my book handy but I don't think there is any standard height in code. Some places I've worked routinely put switches at 44, 48 or 52 inches, from habit. Most commercial jobs I've worked, switch & receptacle heights are spec'd on the prints. On small jobs, I check existing heights & match them unless otherwise requested.

Howard Burger

average elbow height

average elbow height

Sean, welcome to the forum. Good question. Here's a take on switch height for your consideration:

I try to put switches about 42 in. aff centered, because this is the average elbow height between men and womem. Check out this site of ergonomic measurements:

http://www.ergotron.com/Portals/0/literature/whitePapers/english/ergonomics_arms_data.pdf

My reasoning is that when you walk through a doorway, you pivot your arm at the elbow, and that is about where the switch should be. I discount the rationalization that the switch height must be so-and-so to accomodate the sheetrockers, or to keep mud out of the box. Phooey. Accomodate the people who are going to be using the switches!

Now, in a custom home, where the owners are a known, you can modify this for real tall or real short people; I agree that in TI or remodels, the best tactic is to keep the height of the original switches that survive the remodel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is just two images of the ADA rule

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

kwired

Electron manager
Here is just two images of the ADA rule

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

So to be ADA compliant it can be 15 inches above the floor.

Funny thing about ADA is not every disabled person is in a wheelchair. How can you possibly include every possible disability into the design features of a building? Not trying to be mean, but this is the reality of it. Somebodies house is different - you are usually designing it for the individual you are accommodating.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Funny thing about ADA is not every disabled person is in a wheelchair. How can you possibly include every possible disability into the design features of a building? Not trying to be mean, but this is the reality of it. Somebodies house is different - you are usually designing it for the individual you are accommodating.

Not to many people will install a switch that low however, it does appear to be legal. I suspect the 15" is more for receptacle minimum. I had a customer that wanted her outlets in the baseboard in her store-- told her no can do.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

It can be 9" and 54" with side approach as far as ADA is concerned

fig6b.gif

Figure 6(b)
High and Low - Side Reach Limits

Roger

iMuse97

As mentioned, ADA provides guidelines. A particular individual may require something more specific. A client I once did a home for could not easily reach above 36" or below 20" from her conveyance. Therefore, receptacles were at 20" above the floor in her rooms, and switches @ 36".

kwired

Electron manager
Not to many people will install a switch that low however, it does appear to be legal. I suspect the 15" is more for receptacle minimum. I had a customer that wanted her outlets in the baseboard in her store-- told her no can do.

How high does ADA require you to install floor outlets?;)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

Nothing in code disallows baseboard receptacles. I've done that since the 70's & still do them if needed. Never had one flunk inspection.

Or is that ADA specific?

mlnk

I can find no height requirements for general use recep and switches in the NEC. There is a UL listed metal baseboard that includes electric, cable and communications wiring. But, if you wish to be ADA compliant, I think the 15" and 48" drawings apply (forward reach) and I think it is to finish flooring and is measured not to the center of the box, but is to the receptacle slots and the top of the operable switch. This means min. 19" to top of recep box and max. 48" to top of switch box. I use 19" and 42" to top of box. It is awkward to measure to the bottom of the box. Why not make every new installation ADA compliant, especially when it is easy to comply?

sandsnow

What would be the standard switch height in a doctors office? This is in California. This is not a hospital. One of my guys said he had put then at 36"(center)on a job he was on.

The Calif. Bldg Code sets the height for switches and receptacles. Your maximum height is 48" AFF measured to top of outlet box and a minimum of 15" measured to the bottom of the outlet box. The measurement to the top or bottom of the outlet box is specifically called out in the text. This is for non-res and also applies to communication receptacles.

I can email you or anyone else a pdf of the applicable pages of the code. Just send me a PM

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
My sister used to just put them nipple high. Really
It was difficult to follow being 12" taller than her.

Status
Not open for further replies.