pull box, handhole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

actually, I am looking for underground pull-box that takes (2) 2" Rigid metal conduits in
and (20) 3/4" conduits out...

iMuse97

Derate them by 50% with over nine CCCs. You don't want to overheat the whole business and have an angry customer. See 310.15 (B)(2)(a). Lists what you shall [ie. must] do if you put that many conductors in a conduit.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Workbable. Looks like 20 ccc's so a 50% adjustment factor.
Probably not a problem for 20 amp circuits and a 2" conduit.

iMuse97

At the same time, if this is the same project you mentioned in the earlier post re: Christmas lighting, I am wondering if you're the one who will be installing the Christmas lights? If so, you would be able to supervise the load distribution. If not, would it make sense to undersize the breakers to more closely approximate the derated ampacity of the conductors?

BTW, I'm on a kick lately regarding overloaded small conductors because I've run into many of them recently. Most were cooked. :)

Last edited:

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
BTW, I'm on a kick lately regarding overloaded small conductors because I've run into many of them recently. Most were cooked. :)

Probably because people like to use the minimum requirements for safety, i.e. NEC, as a design guide. GC's want the minimum because it keeps the price down, however end user's want a good, practical design that has some flexibility. Unfortunately those two ends rarely meet.:cry:

anbm

At the same time, if this is the same project you mentioned in the earlier post re: Christmas lighting, I am wondering if you're the one who will be installing the Christmas lights? If so, you would be able to supervise the load distribution. If not, would it make sense to undersize the breakers to more closely approximate the derated ampacity of the conductors?

How's about keep 20A/1P breakers and use #8 wire for derating purpose sound?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I don't understand why anyone stuffs so many wires into one conduit either?

1. You get into huge wire with derating. It's not cost effective.
1a. The larger wire may not fit the terminals of the breaker.
2. Two or three 1" conduits are just as easy(if not easier) to run than one 2".
3. If the wires go bad underground, you have the potential to blow up 20 circuits in one pipe instead of just 7-10 circuits if they were spread across 2-3 conduits.

I bet 99% of the time I shoot for 9ccc's or less.

iMuse97

How's about keep 20A/1P breakers and use #8 wire for derating purpose sound?

Not bad, actually. Cow's idea is a good one also. If this Christmas light install is like some I've done for commercial purposes (or for a light-crazy homeowner), I might run 10AWG to the J-Box and call it good. Otherwise, run 4 1" pipes/PVC conduits.

Status
Not open for further replies.