Schedules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When estimating a job how do you determine if you can meet the schedule given to you by a GC with milestone dates? Can't it alweays be meet if you man the job enough? Thanks.

tkb

When estimating a job how do you determine if you can meet the schedule given to you by a GC with milestone dates? Can't it alweays be meet if you man the job enough? Thanks.

You also have to consider the logistics of the vendors that will be involved.

Can you get the lighting in time?
Can you get the switchgear in time?

You also have to be aware of any delays by the other trades that may impact you.
Even if there are delays by the GC or other trades, the GC will expect you to finish on time.

I have been involved with many jobs that were scheduled for the electrical to have 5 days (for instance) for a certain activity and then the preceding activity by another trade was delayed and we were expected to do the same work in less time.

Excluding long lead time items, I take my overall manhour total and compare that to the schedule provided by the GC. If I can have "X" amount of guys complete the "X" amount of hours in the time allowed, it should come in on time.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

no, you can't.

and someone in the office running P3 and mapping float days and critical path
can say it will be possible, but that doesn't make it so.

a job that would be suited for five men, for three months, say... 2500 hours
will not be done with 25 men for 2 1/2 weeks.

in photography, there is something called reciprocity failure with photo emulsions.
theoretically you can double the exposure time, and reduce the aperture by one f/stop
and the film will be exposed the same... and it will, for a little bit.

then it falls apart and doesn't work, 'cause photo film is not linear in sensitivity at
the extremes of it's range.

neither are jobs. there is a "sweet spot" for any job. either too fast or too slow off
that sweet spot eats profits with amazing skill.

too slow, and the job falls apart 'cause of lack of continuity. too slow, and stuff
falls thru the cracks, cause everyone is rushing.

Volta

no, you can't.

and someone in the office running P3 and mapping float days and critical path
can say it will be possible, but that doesn't make it so.

a job that would be suited for five men, for three months, say... 2500 hours
will not be done with 25 men for 2 1/2 weeks.

in photography, there is something called reciprocity failure with photo emulsions.
theoretically you can double the exposure time, and reduce the aperture by one f/stop
and the film will be exposed the same... and it will, for a little bit.

then it falls apart and doesn't work, 'cause photo film is not linear in sensitivity at
the extremes of it's range.

neither are jobs. there is a "sweet spot" for any job. either too fast or too slow off
that sweet spot eats profits with amazing skill.

too slow, and the job falls apart 'cause of lack of continuity. too slow, and stuff
falls thru the cracks, cause everyone is rushing.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.