Generac 20 kW Unit, 100 A Breaker, but only accepts a #6 neutral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing to connect a Generac 20 kW residential unit. Since the breaker in the genny is rated at 100 amps, I planned on running 3 AWG THWN hot and neutral wires (100 amps at 75 degrees C per table 310.16). The lugs on the breaker are fine BUT, the neutral terminal in the genny only accepts up to a #6! Now I am not even clear on what wire ampacity I am required to run for either the neutral or the hots.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Are you absolutely sure about that? The Generac 1? 20KW comes with a generic neutral lug thats almost to big for a #3.

ceb58

Are you absolutely sure about that? The Generac 1? 20KW comes with a generic neutral lug thats almost to big for a #3.

I agree with Chris are you sure you are not looking at the lug for the EGC? But since it is a Generac they could have left it out when they built the gen.

ceb58

Are you sure about that, the last 3 Generac 20kws' I have installed only had a 1/4-20 post to install a lug or crimp on ring terminal on, no lug was installed for ether the EGC or the neutral:happysad:

Could be. The last 40Kw I installed did have the lug but it was a higher end Liq. cooled comercial grade. For the cheeper air cooled you may need to order the lug kit. Part# O-WE-GOT-U $29.95 :slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.