How to make a Fire Marshall see the light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another company installed strobes in the Sauna and steam rooms per local inspector, the sauna one melts every month or 2 and notice the wires are melting too!
Both us and the other company have suggested removing the devices , they are not made for such a enviorment, but the FM refuses to listen, Both rooms sit side by side with a full panel glass door and a 110cd speaker strobe outside!

Any thoughts on how we can change his minded? I have printed the cuts sheets showing the temps are way exceeded too

sauna2.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
how about recessing it futher back in the wall and place glass over that hole ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
how about recessing it futher back in the wall and place glass over that hole ?
I have done that. The ones we have done have the strobes recessed behind a gasketed piece of glass, the strobe and wiring is in an area with air much cooler air than inside the sauna.

We have actually used this same method in handball courts.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If only it were that easy ?
I imaine you will find you need the extension ring for the depth of your stobe. If not, yes.
I would see if that idea is acceptabke to the FM. He may not care what Roger and I think :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If only it were that easy ?
I imaine you will find you need the extension ring for the depth of your stobe. If not, yes.
I would see if that idea is acceptabke to the FM. He may not care what Roger and I think :D

But you can tell him Gus is a highly respected nationally known Electrical Inspector. :)

Roger

dhalleron

What temp does it get to? The System Sensor P2RK horn/strobe or SRK strobe is weatherproof and rated up to 151?F. I've heard even those melt in some saunas.

What is the difference between God and an AHJ?

God doesn't think he is an AHJ.

nhfire77

What temp does it get to? The System Sensor P2RK horn/strobe or SRK strobe is weatherproof and rated up to 151?F. I've heard even those melt in some saunas.

What is the difference between God and an AHJ?

God doesn't think he is an AHJ.

OH! :lol: Im sharing that with a few good humored Fire Prevention Guys.

iggy2

Have you spoken with manufacturers, like Wheelock? They may have an idea.

TBH, I don't disagree with the AHJs requirement for a strobe in there.

Another company installed strobes in the Sauna and steam rooms per local inspector, the sauna one melts every month or 2 and notice the wires are melting too!
Both us and the other company have suggested removing the devices , they are not made for such a enviorment, but the FM refuses to listen, Both rooms sit side by side with a full panel glass door and a 110cd speaker strobe outside!

Any thoughts on how we can change his minded? I have printed the cuts sheets showing the temps are way exceeded too

View attachment 5780

Find a large glass dome that is 2-3" larger than the box diagonally and mount it, clamp it to the inside wall. (Probably one of the C-H VMV refractors) Cut a hole in the wall that equals the inside dia of the glass dome, cut inside/outside and insulation. Mount your box from the outside with an extender and strobe mounted so that the strobe protrudes into the dome. Glass is a poor conductor and what heat will be transferred to the inside of the glass could escape around the box opening gap in the wall.

ryant35

I have designed the fire alarm systems for 50+ fitness center locations with saunas and occasionally we have a fire inspector or a plan checker that insists on a strobe in the
sauna & steam rooms. Every strobe we have installed in saunas has melted, sometimes on the initial start up of the sauna.
Almost all fire departments have accepted a ceiling or wall mounted high intensity horn/strobe directly outside these rooms that can be seen through the windows.

The UL standard weatherproof fire alarm notification appliances are listed under 1638 only has an extended temperature range of 151 degrees F. So there is no UL listed appliance listed for temperatures above 151.

Weaver Road

Reflected Light......

Reflected Light......

I have designed the fire alarm systems for 50+ fitness center locations with saunas and occasionally we have a fire inspector or a plan checker that insists on a strobe in the
sauna & steam rooms. Every strobe we have installed in saunas has melted, sometimes on the initial start up of the sauna.
Almost all fire departments have accepted a ceiling or wall mounted high intensity horn/strobe directly outside these rooms that can be seen through the windows.

The UL standard weatherproof fire alarm notification appliances are listed under 1638 only has an extended temperature range of 151 degrees F. So there is no UL listed appliance listed for temperatures above 151.

I agree!

At least in CT the code recognizes reflected light. It seems in the OP that this is covered.

If this was in my jurisdiction, I would respond in a plan review that the design should indicate how the performance requirement will be met, ie: door is glass and the notification aplliance will be located just outside the opening to assure visibility. Then I would test the installation to prove it out. There is no requirement to have the light in the space as long as the light signal is visible to the standard specified.

Same with the audible signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.