Light Change Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the EC biz, and I'm struggling with pricing.

I have the opportunity to bid changing out about 400 light fixtures, all wall mounted; vanity lights and the like. I would really like to do this job, it's perfect for us.

How much do I charge per fixture X number of fixtures?

Thanks for your help.

ceb58

I'm new to the EC biz, and I'm struggling with pricing.

I have the opportunity to bid changing out about 400 light fixtures, all wall mounted; vanity lights and the like. I would really like to do this job, it's perfect for us.

How much do I charge per fixture X number of fixtures?

Thanks for your help.

$10,000.00 ea.
How do you propose we answer that question? How many employees do you have ? What is your over head? What do you need to charge per hour to pay every thing and make a profit? How long will it take per fixture? and the list goes on.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Light fixtures can take some time. I would guestimate how many fixtures I can install in an hour and decide how much I need to make. I am guessing one could easily install one- take the old down and install the new one in 15 minutes.

satcom

Tell us a bit about the job, what are the job conditions? We just had a job replacing wall fixtures in an old movie house, each fixture needed the hickey removed and a box installed and new wiring, cost about $300 per fixture not counting the fixture cost

The job is straight forward. The g.c. is a wall design company. The lights are provided by the owner w/lamps. All we have to do is take one down and put the new one up.

As to my company, it is a two man partnership (LLC) Class A in the state of Virginia. We have no employees at this time. We are both top notch installers, among the best.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
vanity lights and the like.

Are these on mirrors?

Light fixtures can take some time. I would guestimate how many fixtures I can install in an hour and decide how much I need to make. I am guessing one could easily install one- take the old down and install the new one in 15 minutes.

What if this is a 50-60yo building?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
The job is straight forward. The g.c. is a wall design company. The lights are provided by the owner w/lamps. All we have to do is take one down and put the new one up.

As to my company, it is a two man partnership (LLC) Class A in the state of Virginia. We have no employees at this time. We are both top notch installers, among the best.

well, if that is so, then you know how long it takes you to do something.
what it doesn't sound like you know is how much it costs you to be available to do it.

so, the material is provided. that eliminates both the profit on the material, and the risk

you don't say how high off the floor the lights are. rule of thumb with work off ladders,
every six feet higher off the floor doubles the time needed for any task.

'6 off floor takes an hour to do something? 12' takes two hours, 18' takes 4 hours.

if it can be reached off a 6' stepladder, i'd call it 3 or 4 an hour, by the time you clean up,
pick up your trash, shake out fixtures, and all the "nonproductive" parts of this.

how much do you have to charge an hour to be profitable?
look on your budget. don't have one yet?

here's the key numbers from mine. i honestly doubt your costs are less than mine.
if you use numbers less than this, you are probably not gonna do well.

=====
Cost of Service Labor and Operating Expenses Per Billable Hour $69
Cost/Break Even Per Billable Hour $106
Selling Price Per Billable Hour $124
=====

those numbers allow me a draw of $80,000 per year, about what
the manager in in and out burger makes, and 15% profit for the business.

so, allowing for 4 an hour, $31 each seems about right, for me.
can i do them faster than that? you betcha. should i bid it that way?
nope.

on one glorious day, i and a coworker set one 30' light pole in a parking lot
every six minutes, for 8 hours. and that average allowed us breaks and lunch.
were we impressed with ourselves? yep. we were god's gift to the electrical industry.
just ask us. i'm still bragging about it years later.
bragging about what you did has no place in bidding.

the great part about this is that you can learn your real productivity
without risking $100k in material.

the worst that happens is you work for free a bit, and learn something
very valuable. you don't have to pay $35,000 out of pocket and work
for two months for nothing, to learn what you don't know about bidding.

good luck.

Last edited:

220/221

1. How long will it take you to R&R each fixture?

2. How much do you want per hour?

Ask your kid to do the math :roll:

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
A fixture down and one up in 15 minutes. That is good.

Who stocks the correct fixture in each area? Who is responsible for removal from the building and disposal?

You have a service call NOW!! and only brought one truck to save gas? There is NO BOX behind this fixture!

and of course you are going to make sure that you use proper LOTO procedures for each and every fixture.

Being a good installer is only a portion of the job.

I am not new to the business and am still horrible at pricing. Pay attention to what these guys are saying. Maybe you will have money to send your kids to college.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.