Shunt for ds breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

I need so information on ds westhinhouse circuit breakers . The name plate list shunt power at 48 vdc for shunt power. When i think of shunt power i'm thinking of a remote switch to trip a breaker.
I don't see anything like that. Can some one explain this operation with shunt power. This type of breaker is for our switchgear.

zog

I need so information on ds westhinhouse circuit breakers . The name plate list shunt power at 48 vdc for shunt power. When i think of shunt power i'm thinking of a remote switch to trip a breaker.
I don't see anything like that. Can some one explain this operation with shunt power. This type of breaker is for our switchgear.

You have 2 trip coils in your breaker, one is a shunt trip and 48VDC is the required voltage. You should also see a control voltage for trip, close, and charging motor on your nameplate.

SG-1

The shunt trip in the DS breaker is operated by a built in over current protective device, OCPD, could be an Amtector, not sure about the spelling. I recall that it is on the upper left corner of the breaker. Somewhere you have a battery rack providing the 48 volt power supply. A switch could have been provided if desired when the gear was ordered & built. One could be added now. Your trip should be automatic if the OCPD is working & set correctly.

zog

The Amptector uses its own actuator (DTA) to trip the breaker, a shunt trip is a different coil used for a remote trip and powered often from a capicitor trip device or battery in the switchgear cabinet.

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
Two Different Animals

Two Different Animals

The Amptector uses its own actuator (DTA) to trip the breaker, a shunt trip is a different coil used for a remote trip and powered often from a capicitor trip device or battery in the switchgear cabinet.

Zog is correct. The shunt trip is a solenoid tripping device that operates the breaker trip bar and mounted on the frame to the right of the manual closing handle. It is operated by the local breaker control switch (CS) or remote switch (from mimic panel, etc.)
It is seperate from the device that trips the trip bar from the OCPD(see attached pic of shunt trip with Bell Alarm switch on top, DB-50.)

TT

BTW OP stated DS breaker. Did have pic of DS shunt trip only one of vintage DB frame.

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.