Pantry or kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper chopper

I have noticed something in the last couple of years and I think this is BS....
these engineers label a kitchen as a Pantry all the time and this way we only have to put gfci outlets within 6 feet of the sink or water not the whole place...
this is commercial by the way...
I just finished another job at johnson controls where they have a 31 foot by 18 foot PANTRY with a sink,fridge,dishwasher,garbage disposal,stove, and 2 freezers... how the hell is this a pantry...
theres over 20 feet of counter space in it with outlets every 4 feet...

to me a pantry is only where food is stored...........

and the inspectors let it slide every time.
the NEC needs to put a definition on this to keep this crap from happening.....:weeping:

jumper

I have noticed something in the last couple of years and I think this is BS....
these engineers label a kitchen as a Pantry all the time and this way we only have to put gfci outlets within 6 feet of the sink or water not the whole place...
this is commercial by the way...
I just finished another job at johnson controls where they have a 31 foot by 18 foot PANTRY with a sink,fridge,dishwasher,garbage disposal,stove, and 2 freezers... how the hell is this a pantry...
theres over 20 feet of counter space in it with outlets every 4 feet...

to me a pantry is only where food is stored...........

and the inspectors let it slide every time.
the NEC needs to put a definition on this to keep this crap from happening.....:weeping:
2011 NEC
Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions for
food preparation and cooking.

2008 NEC

Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent facilities for
food preparation and cooking.

Last edited:

iMuse97

Shouldn't need it. If it fits the definition of a kitchen, it is a kitchen.

Gently help the inspector see that even if you label it a porch, or front walkway, if it, even labeled as such, still has a sink and permanent facilities for cooking and food preparation, it is a kitchen.

However, the designers seem to have found the loophole: You mentioned facilities for food preparation, but nothing about cooking, and the definition of a kitchen requires "permanent provisions for [food preparation] and cooking." A countertop, plug-in microwave doesn't fit the permanent idea, nor does a toaster oven--therefore: Not A Kitchen.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Gently help the inspector see that even if you label it a porch, or front walkway, if it, even labeled as such, still has a sink and permanent facilities for cooking and food preparation, it is a kitchen.

However, the designers seem to have found the loophole: You mentioned facilities for food preparation, but nothing about cooking, and the definition of a kitchen requires "permanent provisions for [food preparation] and cooking." A countertop, plug-in microwave doesn't fit the permanent idea, nor does a toaster oven--therefore: Not A Kitchen.

If it has a stove, and according to the OP it does, it is a kitchen. You can cook things in a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.