Phasing #8 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapit_2x

Is it acceptable to use phase tape on # 8 wire ?
Im wiring a 480v panel, all branch circuits are #8 coming or going to a sunny boy
solar Inverter I don't want to purchase more wire than needed. if not can I use black wire
and just use wire numbers to identify the circuits ?

Thank you
tap..............:?

Last edited by a moderator:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can "phase" ungrounded conductors of any size. You cannot, in general, use tape to identify grounded or grounding conductors smaller than #4.

ceb58

Ok so If I understand this, Im ok phasing the ungrounded Circuits
But I must use Gray or white for my neutral....

In your original question. You can phase the black ungrounded #8's but you cannot re-identify black #8 as a neutral ( white or grey) or a green EGC if it is in conduit. The grounded conductor must be white or grey and the EGC green. Unless the wire is part of a cable assembly.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In your original question. You can phase the black ungrounded #8's but you cannot re-identify black #8 as a neutral ( white or grey) or a green EGC if it is in conduit. The grounded conductor must be white or grey and the EGC green. Unless the wire is part of a cable assembly.

or you could make the neutral a #6 and put white tape on it and leave the hots as #8.

tkb

I gotta better idea: get rid of the silly rule.:cool:

It ain't gonna happen though, it's been around a long time. It is in my 1956 NEC.

If it has been part of the code for so long, why are so many people violating this requirement and why is it always questioned?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it has been part of the code for so long, why are so many people violating this requirement and why is it always questioned?
Because in many areas the inspectors permit re-identification of wires in sizes 8 and 6. It is also questioned because there is no real safety reason for the rule.

tkb

Because in many areas the inspectors permit re-identification of wires in sizes 8 and 6. It is also questioned because there is no real safety reason for the rule.

I don't think that this is one of those requirements that can be changed by a local inspector without an amendment to the code by the state or local jurisdiction.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't think that this is one of those requirements that can be changed by a local inspector without an amendment to the code by the state or local jurisdiction.

I think it may be more of a case of diliberatly ignoring it than aproving it.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As Roger said, not officially changed, just often ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.