Generac crankcase heater won't stick!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what I paid for the cold weather kit for a Generac 20 kW I cannot believe how cheezy the crankcase heater is. Despite following the installation instructions (scuff the aluminum and wipe with an alcohol pad), the darn thing will not stick. I'm pretty sure I am not the first one to have this happen. Have any of you used epoxy or some other method to affix this thing? I really don't want it falling off the day after I leave the site. Also, why did they supply a different oil filter and not mention what to do with it?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
For what I paid for the cold weather kit for a Generac 20 kW I cannot believe how cheezy the crankcase heater is. Despite following the installation instructions (scuff the aluminum and wipe with an alcohol pad), the darn thing will not stick. I'm pretty sure I am not the first one to have this happen. Have any of you used epoxy or some other method to affix this thing? I really don't want it falling off the day after I leave the site. Also, why did they supply a different oil filter and not mention what to do with it?

high temperature silicone might work, and still allow you to remove the heater later on.

i've used the epoxy that is a two part material that comes in a roll like a tootsie roll,
you cut off what you need, squeeze it to mix it togeather, put it where you need, and
if there are clean surfaces, it isn't coming off. ever.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Used to patch motorcycle oil pans and clutch cases throughout the West. (Most of my motorcycling friends swear by the stuff for quick crack repair of almost anything on their bikes.)

When I was 16, I used it to repair a 1" hole in the top of the cast valve cover of my dirt bike where the rocker arm broke and the cam punched it thru. Just molded some aluminum foil over the hole, covered that with JB weld, lasted for years!

RichB

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Inspector
JB Weld--AWESOME Stuff--Dad used it to repair a cracked block on a Model A Farmall tractor--back in about 63 or 4--it's still running today with that grey line down the outside of the block

Status
Not open for further replies.