I got shocked yesterday - several times

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE1970

Your ok or else you would not be posting about it. You probably burned a few brain cells so just keep reading and catch up. Ha ha ha. Good luck and keep a voltage sniffer handy. And make sure it says fluke on it the other greenlee crap always breaks.

iwire

Staff member
I agree, let's go pick on Bob: that is always fun, although I usually lose.

walk gently. beware of bob's ban hammer! :)

I argue with Bob on a daily basis. He is a teddy bear as a member. Mod status means nothing in a code argument, unless you are out of line.

Ain't noboby banning me for good solid code discussion with another member, mod or not.

LOL, nope, no one is getting the ban hammer for a civil code discussion. :cool:

Now post some spam and the bam hammer drops quick and hard. :p

iwire

Staff member
Years before I became an electrician I was stripping a telephone line in my garage with my teeth.

Then the phone rang.

90 volts on the teeth and tongue and I felt every volt.

I won't be doing that again......

:lol:

No, I don't imagine you would. :p

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
:lol:

No, I don't imagine you would. :p

Nor will I try to figure out why a cheap pocket camera with a built in flash won't work, but that took two lessons. I don't know how many volts the capacitor that fires the flash builds up to but it's enough to make the camera fly across the room.

The landing was rough. There was going to be no fixin' of this camera any time soon. So, since I discharged the flash I figured there would be no harm in digging in a little deeper and maybe getting the entire flash unit out to play with.

Well, either I didn't totally discharge the capacitor or something re-charged it and I got nailed again and just as before, the camera goes flying across the room.

It felt like a good stiff 120 volt shock, but I think that particular flash tube took at least 300 to fire. The amazing part is the shock was created using 2 AAA batteries as a source of power.

If I told the story that went along with every shock I have ever got, I could write a book. As for voltage needed to shock, I have got shocked by car batteries. Not the coil, the 12 volt battery. All it takes is a hot, humid, sticky day where you lay your dirty, sweaty arm on the car somewhere there is bare metal and then put a wrench to the positive post.

WorkSafe

Years before I became an electrician I was stripping a telephone line in my garage with my teeth.

Then the phone rang.

HA! I happened to do the same exact thing, years ago. My wife was looking at me like I just bit into a lemon when I was stripping the wire. She couldn't figure out what the problem was.

iwire

Staff member
I don't know how many volts the capacitor that fires the flash builds up to but it's enough to make the camera fly across the room.

:lol::lol:

I was once drilling up into a cement ceiling with a large hammer drill, the cord must have been worn at the handle were it went into the tool. All of a sudden it started shooting sparks and smoke .......... I can tell you that drill made it pretty far across the room.

RICK NAPIER

My grandfather was an electrician back in the day when the door bells where run from batteries not transformers. He use to test them by putting the wires to his tongue. When they switched to transformers it took him a couple of hits before he realized it was time to change.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

Then the phone rang.

I feel better now, I thought I was the only one that this had happened to.:ashamed1:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Should we even ask?:)

Not electrically related, sorry. :p

But I will tell you that when I was 18 I slipped while cleaning a window at a gas station just as a hot girl customer threw me a kiss, in the process taking an entire display of empty one gallon gas cans to the floor with me.

I got my pant leg stuck in the kick start of my dirt bike once and fell over right in front of a couple of the most popular girls in my high school.

And most recently, tipped my Harley over at an intersection right in front of two police cruisers.

And, if you search this site, you should find my story about getting a hot shaving from a uni-bit stuck in my left nostril.

You know, the usual stuff.....

:dunce:

Last edited:

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
How did you get a uni-bit stuck in your left nostril?

After reading my post, I could see how you would wonder that!

I was drilling a hole in the bottom of a panel using a uni-bit and every once in a while a hot shaving would burn my hand. So, without getting into the logic as to why, I looked under the panel to see if there was a place I could hold my hand and not get it burnt and a hot shaving flew off the bit and went up my nostril.

My instant reflex to grab my nose only made things worse.

My eyes and nose were watering like I just got sprayed with mace and the smell of burnt nose hair was making me sick.

Much to my partner's dismay, there were no witnesses, but I did have to explain to him why I looked like I did.

For some reason he thought my misfortune was comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.