Sizing a gutter/wire way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntxtrm

I have researched this on here as well. I am kinda confused. I have been sizing gutters by 20% fill up to 30 conductors. 6 times the largest diameter conduit, between conduits on the same plane or at an angle past 30 degrees. Or 8 times for conduit openings directly across from each other. I am going to try to attach a pdf of the setup, I designed to install. It consists of an ATS connecting to a 12"x12"x48" gutter with 4 2-1/2" rigid nipples. Under the gutter is a meter base and a Generator docking station. All connected to the gutter with 2x 2-1/2" rigid. All conductors are 350 kcmil in parallel. (L1,L2,N x2) One set in each conduit. My quiestion is my gutter big enough? I will be extending the load side conductor in the gutter by way of distribution blocks. does my design fall short? the way i fugured it, I could actually get away with a 10"x10". As far as conductors there will be 2 sets from the meter to the preferred in the ATS, 2 sets from the Docking station to the Alternate in the ATS, and 2 sets from the ATS load to the Distribution blocks, 2 Sets from the distribution blocks exiting the gutter to the Panel room. And Thanks ahead, hope i didn't confuse you as much as i did myself.

Attachments

• Lufking Cad.pdf
    55.5 KB · Views: 1

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
before we get into sizing, are you not in violation of 230.7 ?

Huntxtrm

I don't think so? They are all service conductors. They are just alternate sevice conductors, Going through the ATS. Is That not right. Seen these put in like this a few times. Doesn't mean its right though.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I don't think so? They are all service conductors. They are just alternate sevice conductors, Going through the ATS. Is That not right. Seen these put in like this a few times. Doesn't mean its right though.

The ATS would have to be service rated (which I believe would require it to have a service disconnect) or have a service disconnect ahead, so any condutors on the load size would no longer be service conductors.

Huntxtrm

ATS has a 400 amp disconnect incorporated into it. It is service rated. So do i need to seperate my load side conductors? If need be I can. But the still use the same wireway in the ats? Please explain. Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
IMO, the conductors on the load side of your service rated ATS are feeders (no longer service conductors) and can not share a raceway with service conductors (230.7).
If you can install a divider in the raceway your AHJ may find that acceptable.

Huntxtrm

I see where you are coming from. There is no AHJ, its a state entity. They are fine with the layout, but i will devide them anyway, if that is ther right thing to do. Now back to sizing. Help, it gotten confusing from reading so many posts on it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I see no sizing problem. You might want to check dimensions of your distribution blocks. Often they affect the size more so than the conductors.

Huntxtrm

On bending radius? I will need to check specs on that. I am trying to mount them in a manner to avoid as much bending as possible.

Huntxtrm

And is my metod for gutter sizing right or wrong? if not, can someone step me through the sizing process using my diagram. That way, I will understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.