Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm installing a 1600amp switchboard that is fed from the roof. The engineer has requested main lug. Is this a violation of the NEC because disonnecting means aren't readaly avaliable?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
As far as the panel itself is concerned, 408.36 allows the main OCP device to be remote from the panel. As far as the location, take a look at 240.24(B) and see if that sheds any light.

Thank you for the reply's. 240.24 is referring to overcurrent protection and I will be protected by the 1600 amp breaker on the roof. Any other recommendations? IMHO I think it needs a Main because if someone were to come in contact with the bus bars you would have to make a trip to the roof to turn the power off. However, I am bidding and trying to win a job so my personal preference and safety concerns are for naught if the code says that a main is not required in the switchboard. any other articles or suggestions?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A person coming into contact with the bus bars would be dead before another person could walk two steps and shut of a local, main breaker. We do not install breakers as a means of emergency shutoff. That is not their job. The code allows a remote overcurrent device as the means for protecting the panelboard, as well as the feeder. You will not find a code requirement that prevents this from being a main lug board.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Have you worked in any hotels or schools? They usually have main lug panels all over the place on different floors, etc all fed from electrical room(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.