3-Phase Well Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormy

My company just had a deep water well drilled at one of our utility stations and the pump installed is a 120/208 three phase 1-1/2hp. I will be running a three phase circuit to the pump. Because this is a three phase pump some kind of motor starter is required, correct? Probaly triggered by a pressure switch?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Need more info., but look at sec.430 I think for motor info..
You will need overloads, disconnect,starter of some sort, on/off freq.
Is this on a drive?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Yes, you will need a starter. What the pump is used for will determine the control scheme. Does it pump into a bladder type pressure tank? In ground holding tank? Water tower?

wormy

The pump is just pumping into a small bladder type pressure tank. From there we will be filling a 500 g storage tank.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
some of those I have seen have thermal protection with leads that can be wired back to a contactor in series with your pressure switch.
If there is no internal protection, you do need to provide overloads and that is often accomplished with a magnetic starter.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Every motor requires a disconnect, (in this case ahead of the controller) a controller, motor overloads and motor branch circuit short circuit and ground fault protection.
Since this is three phase, it may be easier to get a pump control panel, with 120volt controls, hand off auto, wire the pressure switch to the auto position. the company that set the submersible can provide this.

Note: while the well may be 550 ft deep, the pumping level may be much less. It depends on how far up the column the static water level is.

kwired

Electron manager
..the company that set the submersible can provide this.

They can, but I would rather make some profit from selling it. I have to mount the thing, connect it, and often will be the one called back if something does not work, even if it is not my equipment that fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.