Staircase Pressurization Fan Motor Overload

Status
Not open for further replies.

sccat

Is there a Thermal Relay in a DOL starter for "staircase pressurization fan"?
When motor overload happens,will the Thermal Relay cut off the contactor?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
in general, motors require overload protection. There are some specific motors, fire pump motors, for example that are not permitted to have overload protection. I don't know of anything that would permit you to eliminate the overload protection for your application.

sccat

in general, motors require overload protection. There are some specific motors, fire pump motors, for example that are not permitted to have overload protection. I don't know of anything that would permit you to eliminate the overload protection for your application.

Is Staircase Pressurization Fan one of those ?specific motors? that are not permitted to have overload protection?
And what about "smoke extraction fan"?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I still am not aware of any section of the NEC that would permit the bypass of the overload device. Maybe there is something in the high rise fire codes.

J

janagyjr

What about the section that pertains to installing equipment as listed by manufacturer?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What about the section that pertains to installing equipment as listed by manufacturer?
Show me a listing document (the actual standard or White Book information) that says that and I will agree. I won't agree that the manufacturers instructions can over ride a code rule.

J

janagyjr

Article 110.3(B) (2011, as thats what I have handy) states:

"Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 110.3(B) (2011, as thats what I have handy) states:

"Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling."

Don's point is that the manufacturers instructions may not be part of the listing and labeling.

J

janagyjr

Don's point is that the manufacturers instructions may not be part of the listing and labeling.

Might not be in the listing, but doesn't an instruction manual, provided by the manufacturer, count as the labeling? If not, than I've been sorely mislead by the authors of my text books.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
Might not be in the listing, but doesn't an instruction manual, provided by the manufacturer, count as the labeling? If not, than I've been sorely mislead by the authors of my text books.

what you may find is that some folks will change there view on that based on what supports their argument. If the device has a little instruction book that spells out instructions for installation is that a label?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
My point is that the manufacturer's instructions can never require you to violate a code rule. Even if the instructions are a part of the listing and labeling...which in my opinion very few are, they can not require you to violate a code rule. A listing does not over ride the NEC.

J

janagyjr

I don't see how following the code (110.3(B) in this case) causes you to violate any rule.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't see how following the code (110.3(B) in this case) causes you to violate any rule.
I have seen 125 volt plug connected commercial kitchen equipment which has instructions that state not to use on GFCI circuits, this just means this particular manufacturers equipment can not be used in commercial kitchens that are wired under current NEC rules. So with that said, if a piece of equipment has instructions that instruct us to install in a non-compliant way the equipment has to be sold to a third world country.

Listing and labeling with instructions does not mean equipment can be legally used.

Roger

J

janagyjr

Okay, because the thread is way OT now because of me (my bad) and because I'm now confused, I'm taking an example directly from my text book (Electrical Wiring Residential, 16th Edition, Ray C. Mullin (author)):

"410.136(B) states that fluorescent luminaires that are surface mounted on this material must be spaced at least 1?" from the fiberboard surface unless the fixture is marked "Suitable for Surface Mounting on Low-Density Cellulose Fiberboard.""

The "unless" fully conforms to 110.3(B). if the manufacturer's instructions for the fan thing that was being discussed is labeled (or has instructions to allow) for use with the overloads bypassed (in certain situations), how is any of the code being violated? I agree, motors in general are required to have overload protection but in this case - if these are the instructions being provided - does it not go to say that it has been tested by the UL in this fashion? Otherwise the manufacturer would be violating the listing and the law by providing said instructions.

Yet by your interpretation that would make the installation non-compliant.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Okay, because the thread is way OT now because of me (my bad) and because I'm now confused, I'm taking an example directly from my text book (Electrical Wiring Residential, 16th Edition, Ray C. Mullin (author)):

"410.136(B) states that fluorescent luminaires that are surface mounted on this material must be spaced at least 1?" from the fiberboard surface unless the fixture is marked "Suitable for Surface Mounting on Low-Density Cellulose Fiberboard.""

The "unless" fully conforms to 110.3(B). if the manufacturer's instructions for the fan thing that was being discussed is labeled (or has instructions to allow) for use with the overloads bypassed (in certain situations), how is any of the code being violated? I agree, motors in general are required to have overload protection but in this case - if these are the instructions being provided, does it not go to say that it has been tested the UL in this fashion? Otherwise the manufacturer would be violating the listing and the law by providing said instructions.

Yet by your interpretation that would make the installation non-compliant.

No, you are not comparing apples to apples, 410.136(B) specifically allows the installation per the manufacturers listing and labeling / instructions and has wording for this.

(B) Combustible Low-Density Cellulose Fiberboard. Where a surface-mounted luminaire containing a ballast is to be installed on combustible low-density cellulose fiberboard, it shall be marked for this condition or shall be spaced not less than 38 mm (11/2 in.) from the surface of the fiberboard. Where such luminaires are partially or wholly recessed, the provisions of 410.110 through 410.122 shall apply.

Can you provide another article section which will specifically allow the topic at hand?

Roger

J

janagyjr

what you may find is that some folks will change there view on that based on what supports their argument. If the device has a little instruction book that spells out instructions for installation is that a label?

At this point, that's pretty much what I'm asking.

elohr46

Is Staircase Pressurization Fan one of those “specific motors” that are not permitted to have overload protection?
And what about "smoke extraction fan"?

Those fans are controlled by the Fire Alarm system, you may find the answer you're looking for in NFPA 72. I have wired these before and don't recall them not having overloads in the control circuit. It's possible the FA installer put a relay in to bypass the OL circuit, I don't remember to tell you the truth. Oft times there are key switches located in the Fire Command room where the Fire Marshall can operate those fans at his discretion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.