delta delta transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

couzer1023

i have a 480v primary delta - 240v secondry delta transformer and i am getting 120v to ground on all phases on secondary side and 240v phase to phase. i thought i should get 208v to ground on b phase.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Do you have a "neutral termiknal" ?
if it's a delta with no X-0 or X-4 terminal, without grounding on phase you have no reference for a "to ground" voltage and could get any reading. In my experience it is a bit unusual to get exactly 120 on all three phases.
Are you sure your secondary is not a wye ?

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
there is no neutral, xo, x4. the voltage is not exactly 120v. anyway to measure voltage to find high leg

If there is no neutral, then there is no high leg. The high leg is only present if the center is tapped on one of the transformers. The 120 you are getting is probably a "ghost" voltage.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
so what is the voltage present on each leg individually

Unless it is a corner grounded system, theoretically, you will get 0 volts to ground, you can touch any one of the phases to ground, and unless there is a fault in the connected equipment, nothing will happen. If it is a corner grounded system, the phase that is grounded will be 240 volts to either of the other two phases, and that phase will be 0 volts to ground. Someone here has a drawing showing how this works and why there is a high leg when the center tap is used.:)

raider1

Staff member
i am pretty sure the secondary is not grounded.

Then the system will not have a high leg.

A high leg is created when you ground the center of one of the winding in a delta secondary.

What does this transformer feed?

To be ungrounded the transformer must comply with 250.21.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
it feeds all three phase equipment. so with all this info i would assume that i will not need to identify b phase with orange tape

If this is an ungrounded system then you won't have a high leg.

But if this is an ungrounded system does it comply with 250.21 and 250.30(B)?

Chris

GearMan

As posted, you have a D x D xfmr without a center tap. Feeding a 3-wire load, you do not have a high leg. The only voltage readings you need to verify are phase to phase. The panel you are feeding must be UL listed as a 3-wire delta. The branch breakers in this panel feeding your 3-phase loads must also be straight 240v listed, not 240/120v. A common misapplication.

Status
Not open for further replies.