Steel Romex Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

First time I have seen these, steel connector that pushes through the knock out from the inside of the box. It is flush on the inside of the box with about 1/2" sticking out of the box. Romex is fed into the connector and then the connector is crimped with pliers or a special crimping tool to secure the romex. Any one seen these? Are they UL approved? Do you need a special tool to crimp the romex?

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So what's the advantage of using one of those? Seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
They're not even listed on Ideal's site.

Is there some special reason you want to use these over the gray pop in romex connectors?

VIC1958

I dont want to use these, I have never seen them and I inspected a new house that the electrician was using a combination of of different romex connectors. I have no problems with this certain type, as long as they are UL approved and they where crimped using the correct tool. I contacted IDEAL, and they no longer supplying/manufacturing them. The person I talked to couldnt even find them in his catalog.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I gotcha.

I see them quite a bit when I'm adding circuits to older homes, but I've never seen them in new construction.

paul

They predominately used around here during the 60's. Way before the quick plastic fittings. In fact, my house panel is loaded with them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I used them in the 70's they were a PITA. They were supposed to snap in and then you would crimp them, but they didn't always snap in and then the would fall back into the box after you crimped them and like I said, PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.