Modify a 400A section of a 3000A SES to 800A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

I'm looking at a Nema 3R Cutler Hammer 3000A service entrance on a strip mall. it has several small tenant sections (each of which has section ratings of 3000A) and two large tenant sections (each of which has section ratings of 400A and supply ratings of 3000A). The management company would like to add another 400A large tenant, but there is no room for another section. Do you think it would be possible (or rea$onable) to replace the innards of one of the 400A sections with an 800A one with two 400A meters and 4 200A breakers?

GearMan

CH could not replace the interior of a swbd without a service engineer on site to measure and verify horizontal/vertical bussing. The CH service group along with a UL visit in it self is $$. A replacement section may be an option if of current design. CH will need the SO# from the main nameplate. Have them pull the factory drawing. A better option may be a local custom swbd MFG who standardizes on CH design. The drawing will answer many questions.

donw

Thanks GearMan. I will be calling them with the number. I just wanted some opinions. The SES is from about 2004, so it's not that old. I wonder how likely it is that a new section could be installed?

GearMan

They still add to '04 boards. Normally at the end of the line-up with future bus extensions originally supplied. Depending on how it originally shipped (single sections, field bolted together) would have the proper links to match up bus. If not, local MFG, best option.

donw

Thanks again! It just happens that the two 400A sections are on the end, so I'd assume we could replace the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.