Changing t-12 fixture to t-8

Status
Not open for further replies.

adagys

I have a customer who has an entire parts department with the old t-12, two lamp, strip lights in it and would like to upgrade to more efficient lighting. Is there a retro type kit that can be purchased to utilize the old strip lights and just change out the "guts" so all the piping does not need to be replaced? If so, where do you buy it? Thanks AL

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have a customer who has an entire parts department with the old t-12, two lamp, strip lights in it and would like to upgrade to more efficient lighting. Is there a retro type kit that can be purchased to utilize the old strip lights and just change out the "guts" so all the piping does not need to be replaced? If so, where do you buy it? Thanks AL

T-12 magnetic ballasts are obsolete - no longer available - and the lamps will be soon. Some POCOs will give you a rebate for converting to T-8s. Your wholesale house will have t-8 lamps and ballasts, and of course, the ballast disconnect as required in the 2011 NEC.

BullsnPyrs

T-12 magnetic ballasts are obsolete - no longer available - and the lamps will be soon. Some POCOs will give you a rebate for converting to T-8s. Your wholesale house will have t-8 lamps and ballasts, and of course, the ballast disconnect as required in the 2011 NEC.

and the shunted lampholders most electronic ballasts require.

bpk

If they are 4' T12 bulbs you can swap ballasts / bulbs, the ends ( tombstones ) are the same on a 4' t12 and a t8. If they are High outputs or 8' bulbs I think its easier to swap the fixture than install the retrofit kit from 2-8 foot t12 to 4- 4foot t8. You can get 8 foot t8 bulbs but they are spendy.

Status
Not open for further replies.