Help with tricky exam questions " afew"

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega83

Hey guys, me again. Just took my electrical exam and again fail by one point. sucks. I got a few question that was tricky for me and was wondering if you guys could tell me if I did it right or not. Also keep in mind that all the information i have might not be right due to just memorizing it from the test.

1) you have a 120/240v 3 phase 4 wire and they wanted to know where a 20 amp breaker can be install in? 2 answer

a) a phase A-B line to line
b) a phase A-C line to line
c) a phases A-C multi wire
e) a phase C-B line to line
f) a phase A-B-C line to line

I was not sure what the answer was so I guess c and f. I understand there is a high leg on B phase but the answer are line to line? To me, I thought they all work. can some one help me out

Question #2
A B
480v 10amps --------- ------------ 23 amp
I I
I I----------- N
I I
---------- ------------- ?
C

This is suppose to be a diagram on a transformer. primary 480v secondary 120/240v

Wanted to know what the Nuetral would read when you put a ampmeter on it?
a)3
b)4
c)5
e)6
f)7

What I did was A 480v x 10amp= 4800va
B 120v x 23amps= 2760va 4800va - 2670 va = 2040va for C phase. Then 2040/120v = 17amp

So to find the Neutral, I did 23amp-17amps= 6 amp ( answer is E right?)

Question # 3

How can you change class h fuses renewal? 3x answer
a) interrupting rating 10,000
b)where maintenance keeps records of fuse replacement
c)have to have to right testing equipment
e)replacement only
f)no evidence of over fusing or tampering

240.60 (d) I put down for answer B,E,F. Im thinking it was A,E,F. I did not fing anything that say it has to be 10,000 amps or maintenance records. What do you guys think?

Question #4

Have a 3 phase squirrel cage motor at 480v 60 hp. Wanted to know what the maximun rating dual element fuse for branch circuit short circuit?
a)125
b)150
c)175
d)200
e)225

60hp=77amps from table430.250
77 x 1.75 ( from T430.52) = 134.75 amps
77 x 2.25 ( expection no 2) = 173.25 amps

I was confuse for what is the maximum. I would think the 225% would be max . I put down B for my answer at 150 amps. 134.75amps next larger size is 150 amps. 173.25 is maximum and you cant upsize so I went back down to 150. Which one is the right one to do when I say maximum?

Question #5

Wanted to know branch circuit short circuit protection. namplate on conderser reads 20.5 amps for compressor motor and fan motor is 1.5 amps. conductor rated at 27 amps, maxiumum breaker at 40 and max hvac breaker at 40 amps.
a)20
b)30
c)40
d)45

440.22(a)
here we go again with maximums? Okay so this is what I did 20.5 x 2.25 + 1.5= 47.625. I put down 45 amps as my answer. If I was to use 175% then I would get 37.375 with a 40amp breaker. What do I do when they say maximum? 225% will be the max but only when it keeps blowing fuse or circuit breaker but the question doesn't say that.

Question #6

Your going to replace a receptacle in an industrial application and it doesn't have a equipment ground. How can you change this? 2x answer

a) a non grounding type receptacle shall be permitted
b)GFCI receptacle mark "no ground"
c)a grounding type recpetacle where protected by GFI from a receptacle or circuit breaker

406.4(d)2
I put down B and C. I was not sure with this but the code says you can only replace non grounding type receptacle with non grounding type receptacles. The question didn't state what type of receptacle it was. tricky?

Question #7
Why do we put a capacitor in front of a induction motor? These are the only answer I remember

1) improves power factor
2) decrease power factor
3) runs motor at constance speed

I put down improves power factor as a guess.

Question #8

In general, where can the disconnect be located for motor control? 2x answer

1)located in sight from controller location
2) be able to lock in open position out of sight
3) less than 50 ft from the controller

430.102(a)

I put down 1 and 3. When they say in general, do I include exceptions? answer #2 was in the expection but over 600v . What do you guys think......

This is it for right now. Still pretty devasted because I fail by one point the last two test. next time.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I assume #1 is getting at a high leg situation but , as far as I know, the high leg can be any leg as long as it is marked. Usually it is phase B but I have heard some areas use C.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Question #6

Your going to replace a receptacle in an industrial application and it doesn't have a equipment ground. How can you change this? 2x answer

a) a non grounding type receptacle shall be permitted
b)GFCI receptacle mark "no ground"
c)a grounding type recpetacle where protected by GFI from a receptacle or circuit breaker

406.4(d)2
I put down B and C. I was not sure with this but the code says you can only replace non grounding type receptacle with non grounding type receptacles. The question didn't state what type of receptacle it was. tricky?

If there is no equipment ground available then all 3 choices can be correct. Choice "C" however does not state that the receptacle needs to be marked "No equipment ground" In that case A & B would be my choice

omega83

Question 2 diagram looks like this

480v 10amp------------------------I I------------------------- B line is 23 amps
I I
I I 120v to neutra l
I I-------------------------- Neutral
I I
I I 120v to neutral
I I
I I
----------------------- --------------------------- C line is unknown amps?

Attachments

• trs.doc
    25 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Question #8

In general, where can the disconnect be located for motor control? 2x answer

1)located in sight from controller location
2) be able to lock in open position out of sight
3) less than 50 ft from the controller

I would have to go with 1 & 2 on this one as 3 is not correct. In sight means not more than 50 feet C- states less than 50'

omega83

I would have to go with 1 & 2 on this one as 3 is not correct. In sight means not more than 50 feet C- states less than 50'

doesnt that means the same? less than 50 ft ?>50ft At first i went with 1 and 2 but the question said In general. Does that mean they also consider expections too.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
doesnt that means the same? less than 50 ft ?>50ft At first i went with 1 and 2 but the question said In general. Does that mean they also consider expections too.

No it can be 50', not greater, but the answer says less than 50'- that means it cannot be 50'. A minor detail but it is different.

omega83

No it can be 50', not greater, but the answer says less than 50'- that means it cannot be 50'. A minor detail but it is different.

Okay, just for me to understand, does that mean that When the say in general, they are considering exception too? also it had to be over 600v for answer one to work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Okay, just for me to understand, does that mean that When the say in general, they are considering exception too? also it had to be over 600v for answer one to work.

Normally they don't consider exception, at least that is my understanding but the answers are not good choices-- bad question, IMO. I answered A and B because C was not a correct answer- ever. Who knows what they are looking for.

omega83

Normally they don't consider exception, at least that is my understanding but the answers are not good choices-- bad question, IMO. I answered A and B because C was not a correct answer- ever. Who knows what they are looking for.

yeah thats the part thats tricky. Did you get tp look at the calculation where they wanted to know the maximum branch short circuit? That part is also tricky? Tables say maximum but the article lets you go up if you keep going throught fuse. plus there answer didn't corrispond. let me know what you guys think

omega83

Yeah, can anyone give us your thoughts on these questions? I have to wait 6 months to test again but it would be helpful. any feed back will do:D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Per Dennis' request... chiming in :D

#1 I din;t know of any restriction as worded, howver, a breaker with a slash rating (240/120) could not be installed in (a)(e) or (f), so I'd choose (b) & (c)

#2 I agree with Dennis 6 amps

#3 (a), (e) and (f) See 240.60

#4 b

#5 c 440.22(c)

#6 Since c does not mention marking "no ground", I assume the
answer is (a) & (b)

#7 (1)

#8 (1) and (3)

I may not have passed either :)
Most of my testing dicussed rubber covered condcutors and plug fuses and knob & tube :)

omega83

on question # 4
when they say maximum, do you guys think they take the exception into considration. What would have been the right way to do this question? I think that if they say maximum, with the exception with 225% would be the right way to do it. It was 173 amps after the calculation but thats is the max so can't go with 175amp.

On question #6
It doesn't mention no marking but the question never said it was for changing from a non grounding type also. It just said receptacle?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
On question #6
It doesn't mention no marking but the question never said it was for changing from a non grounding type also. It just said receptacle?

The question states there is no ground. If the receptacle was a 3 prong recep. you still have to change it by the methods in the NEC. It needs to be marked if you replace it with a grounded type recep. and must be protected by gfci somewhere in the circuit

omega83

The question states there is no ground. If the receptacle was a 3 prong recep. you still have to change it by the methods in the NEC. It needs to be marked if you replace it with a grounded type recep. and must be protected by gfci somewhere in the circuit

Okay understood

bob

I'm not seeing the original test, but if the questions look like these show in the post, the person making up this test should be fired and then shot.
These question are horrible. They are not trying to test the knowledge of the individual.
If we can not shoot this person, then shoot augie.

Status
Not open for further replies.