Strut hangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockedby277v

Since I can't run my strut through the flutes of decking anymore has anyone seen any fasteners for strut to steel that are cheap and efficient???? The application I will be using this in is a class 1 Div 1 location and will be ran in IMC. The fixtures weight approx. 80lbs. I need to attach the strut to the bottom side of the top of the bar joists. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since I can't run my strut through the flutes of decking anymore has anyone seen any fasteners for strut to steel that are cheap and efficient???? The application I will be using this in is a class 1 Div 1 location and will be ran in IMC. The fixtures weight approx. 80lbs. I need to attach the strut to the bottom side of the top of the bar joists. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Why can't you do this anymore?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Setting your strut across the top of the bottom bar joist isn't an option? That's what I've always done. Then just use 3/16x3 toggles and fenders washers to clamp the strut to the bar joist. Depending on the weight, maybe you could do the same thing on the top bar joist with some longer toggles, if you could find them big enough to support the weight. I don't know if they make them bigger than 1/4? It'd work slick and should be pretty fast.

Why can't you do this anymore?

I assume because that would make the strut flush with the raised corrugations in the pandecking, making the conduits running across the strut tight to the pandecking as well.

pete m.

If you are under the 08 code and using IMC for the install, the exception to 300.4(E) would allow you to do it "the old way"

Exception: Rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit shall not be required to comply with 300.4(E).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Setting your strut across the top of the bottom bar joist isn't an option? That's what I've always done. Then just use 3/16x3 toggles and fenders washers to clamp the strut to the bar joist. Depending on the weight, maybe you could do the same thing on the top bar joist with some longer toggles, if you could find them big enough to support the weight. I don't know if they make them bigger than 1/4? It'd work slick and should be pretty fast.

I assume because that would make the strut flush with the raised corrugations in the pandecking, making the conduits running across the strut tight to the pandecking as well.

If you are under the 08 code and using IMC for the install, the exception to 300.4(E) would allow you to do it "the old way"

Exception: Rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit shall not be required to comply with 300.4(E).

Yup, that's why I asked the question since he's using IMC.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

I knew I should of looked that one up instead of shooting from the hip. Assumptions...:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.