Service line roof clearance 1955 residence in Clearwater, FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson

Trying to help my mother dispute a local power company charge to move service line, which was originally installed on the opposite side of house from where the service meter was originally installed. This situation resulted in the extending the service line extended over a long roof area and had less than a 4' roof clearance. Recently, her homeowners insurance provided required that she replace her fuse service panel with a breaker panel, the building inspector is now requiring that the service line, had to raised or moved. Power company said it could not raise line any higher, thus service line had to be moved and wants to charge her for this change.
Appreciate any help or advice.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Your post isn't really clear, but I think I got the jist of it. If the original service line was installed in 1955 and IF it met NESC requirements at the time of installation, then it was grandfathered. If you or your representatives (insurance co.) wanted the line moved, then the cost is on you IMO.

Volta

Looks like it should've been at least 3 feet the whole time.

NEC 1955 said:
2322. Clearance of Service Drop. Service drops shall not be readily accessible and shall conform to the following:

a. Clearance Over Roof. Conductors shall have a clearance of not less than 8 ft. from the highest point of roofs over which they pass, except where the voltage between conductors does not exceed 300 and the roof cannot be readily walked upon, the clearance may not be less than 3 feet.

b. Clearance from Ground. Conductors shall have a clearance of not less than 10 feet from the ground or from any platform or projection from which they might be reached. See Section 7323.

c. Clearance from Building Openings. Conductors shall have a clearance of not less than 36 inches from windows, doors, porches, fire escapes, or similar locations.

See indented note following section 2333.

jackson

Yeah, did not make myself clear. Based on Volta's information the service drop did not meet NEC when at the time the house was built, however, when the local building official inspected the newly installed service panel, the official required the service drop had to be corrected. The power company indicated the service drop could not be raised, but required service drop to be installed underground at the homeowners expense. My issue is the power company originally installed service drop did not meet NEC, if the building official is requiring correction, it should be at the power company's expense.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah, did not make myself clear. Based on Volta's information the service drop did not meet NEC when at the time the house was built, however, when the local building official inspected the newly installed service panel, the official required the service drop had to be corrected. The power company indicated the service drop could not be raised, but required service drop to be installed underground at the homeowners expense. My issue is the power company originally installed service drop did not meet NEC, if the building official is requiring correction, it should be at the power company's expense.

Take a look at 90.2(B)(5) in the NEC. A service drop to a house from the poco is NOT under the jurisdiction of the NEC. The NESC (AKA IEEE C2-2012) is the ruling code for utilities. Actually, the inspector has no jurisdiction to inspect power co. lines. We have to remind them of this fact occasionally. If the inspector wants to have the line moved, he is transfering the fight to the homeowner, which has no choice but to do what the inspector wants if the homeowner wants their power connected quickly. The poco is right in the fact that if you or the inspector wants the line moved, you, or the inspector, should pay for it. Why should they have to bear the cost of an inspector with a superiority complex?

jackson

Thanks for the informative feed back. Apparently, my fight is with the building department, which is nothing new, as a home inspector I frequently locking horns with them! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.