Panel Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

This is going to be a new one for most people :)

I have a client that is building a restaurant and wants to put the panel inside of a wine cooler (laugh here).

I get ridiculous request all the time, but always want to refer to a specific section in the code book prior to saying no.

My first thought is it would need to meet the clearance requirements.
My 2nd thought is that it would be located in a area that is immediately combustible (The cooler is made out of wood, and is surrounded by alcohol).

Any other opinions?

Npstewart

240.24 (C) & (D) would be applicable here. I guess it would have to be in a NEMA 3R enclosure. Does anyone think the cooler qualifies as easily ignitable?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
working clearance was obviously have to be addressed at any location.
I doubt wine would make the cooler a classified location :D

I'm more a "Mad dog" man than a "Chardonnay" so wine coolers are not my forte', so I am not knowledgeable of the environment. As long as humidity and temperature don't present a problem, I would not be concerned.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
How big is the wine cooler (i.e., is it a walk in)? If you can stand inside the cooler, in front of the panel, and have the minimum clearances, then I would call it acceptable.

Npstewart

I have seen over current devices in a cooler before such as a disconnect for a evaporator coil.

Ill tell them that I wouldnt suggest it but its legal per the NEC, and subject to interpretation by the AHJ. Cant go wrong with that right?:lol:

jumper

I have seen over current devices in a cooler before such as a disconnect for a evaporator coil.

Ill tell them that I wouldnt suggest it but its legal per the NEC, and subject to interpretation by the AHJ. Cant go wrong with that right?:lol:

I think you should allow the panel in the wine cooler and them that I will do the service calls.........

Alone, at night, unattended...................:cool:

maghazadeh

Another thing I like to point here, Tell your client electrical panel board could easily produce heat and why would you put that in vine cooler where you pay to cool down and keep it cool.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wouldn't worry about the cold. A wine cooler doesn't get as cold as a NE winter where the lows are around zero and we put panels in garages all of the time.

USMC1302

I'd be sure to mark/label where it was located, as I would never think to look there(from a fireman perspective), but I was also surprised to learn that sprinkler heads were required in walk-in coolers/freezers too.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
What's wrong with a wine cooler as long as you have the working clearances??

If a 3R panel can handle the outdoors, I don't see the big deal with a wine cooler....

craff

Panel in wine cooler

Panel in wine cooler

I recently did some consulting for a winery in Napa, CA. We installed a panel in the wood lined cooler (3PH4W/200A). It was the only place in the basement we could realistically find space for the correct clearances. The AHJ asked us to use NEMA3R rated equipment and returned to verify our clearances. Since it was not our first choice for a location, we also made the owner sign release of liability (wine collection was valued over 2 million dollars).

Status
Not open for further replies.