ADA height for receptacles and switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

ADA says 15" min for receptacles. This would mean 18" from finish floor to the top of the outlet box. I recommend that we all measure 19" to the top from the sub-floor. This allows for hardwood floor installation.
For switches, ADA says 48" max. I recommend 42" to the top of the box in order to avoid the drywallers filling the box with mud.
Any comments or suggestions?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
ADA says 15" min for receptacles. This would mean 18" from finish floor to the top of the outlet box. I recommend that we all measure 19" to the top from the sub-floor. This allows for hardwood floor installation.
For switches, ADA says 48" max. I recommend 42" to the top of the box in order to avoid the drywallers filling the box with mud.
Why are you recommending the height that you like. Most plans have the heights specified. Personally I like 19" to the bottom for recep. because my stick rule opens to that height and I can mount the box right on top. As for switches I like 43 to the bottom for the same reason. In residence I use 13" to the bottom for receptacles & 43 to the bottom for switches. That is pretty standard around here.

mlnk

Why not go 16" to the bottom of the box and be ADA compliant? Of course i am recommending what I like, but it is also ADA compliant...

gndrod

Yes...measuring from the center of boxes AFF is usually done to avoid misaligned box levels, especially in tile. Reason: Not all manufacturer box envelopes are the same. A metal foursquare with mudring and single gang plastic are different as is a cut-in box. The ADA is project specified. Setting wall switch heights at 42" is standard above a 32" bath lav counter, in a kitchen 42" will not usually work with a 36 inch cabinet plus counter height. The floor and custom counter thickness will almost always be a negative clearance with the wall plate.

mlnk

Excellent point about measuring box heights O.C. ...... Of course kitchens heights vary. Also, Where customer has not decided about backsplash/tile, i like to use the adjustable set out boxes..a great invention.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Setting wall switch heights at 42" is standard above a 32" bath lav counter, in a kitchen 42" will not usually work with a 36 inch cabinet plus counter height. The floor and custom counter thickness will almost always be a negative clearance with the wall plate.

I've never had a problem setting kitchen countertop receptacles at 42". The houses I've done have 36" counter heights and a 4" backsplash.

dhalleron

Duh. I guess I missread post #6. I thought the box somehow adjusted up and down for the the backsplash height off the counter. I wondered how that was going to work.

gndrod

I've never had a problem setting kitchen countertop receptacles at 42". The houses I've done have 36" counter heights and a 4" backsplash.

The 42" height comment in my response is relative to the OP's original statement referring to the top of a box. So your 42" height would be to the bottom of the box as I would agree.

its weird i always just used my eastwing ,put the claws on the floor and set the bottom of the box on top of the handle against the stud.was thought that way and it just stuck....for a recep

cadpoint

its weird i always just used my eastwing ,put the claws on the floor and set the bottom of the box on top of the handle against the stud.was thought that way and it just stuck....for a recep

"REALLY", Wow, I guess your just stating some folk lure humor, yes in fact that use to be how things were done but to say that now you need to get with the 90's.

Most State and Federal Jobs your hammer or hands will not count as to the correct aspect of accounting for what's required to be done... "Really"

Sure all in Fun go read about today's requirements of things ADA :)

Status
Not open for further replies.