How Many Holes Can Be Bored In A Load Bearing 2 X 6 Stud ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to move twelve 14/2 NM cables horizontally through a exterior 2 X 6 non insulated load bearing garage wall. Want to bore 7/8 inch holes and run two 14/2 cables throught each hole. This means I need to bore 6 holes. Does anyone know the number of holes that can be bored in a load bearing 2 X 6 and the location / spacing of holes. Most of what I have read suggests that you bore the holes in the center of the stud but have seen different spacing requirements. I know about the max hole size for load bearing and non load bearing walls but do not want to run all twelve cables through one hole as I believe that it will not pass inspection.

:cool:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Bundling becomes an issue when you have more than 2- cables however it does not affect the ampacity of the conductors until you have more than 9 current carrying conductors-- thus 4- 14/2 or 12/2 nm cables would be compliant.

stickboy1375

Bundling becomes an issue when you have more than 2- cables however it does not affect the ampacity of the conductors until you have more than 9 current carrying conductors-- thus 4- 14/2 or 12/2 nm cables would be compliant.

I wouldn't consider bored holes bundling unless the hole was 24" long, although... once you fire caulk a hole, that's a different story.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In a 2x6 you could drill a 2 inch hole, I believe and run all 12 thru it if you are not going a distance of 24+ inches.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't know the exact rules either, but it is something like a 40% diameter hole in a load bearing stud and a 60% diameter hole in a non-load bearing stud. That's a pretty big hole in a 2x6 (over 2" for load bearing). The hole edges need to be a certain minimum distance from a face of the stud (putting them in the center is best). Subsequent holes along the length of the stud need to be a certain number of diameters away from other holes. It think it is 5 diameters, but may be 3, and in a stud it isn't nearly as important as in a horizontal beam.

Why drill a 7/8 hole if you're only pulling two 14-2 wires through it? A 5/8 hole would easily take that. If you have 12 cables, I'd do at least 3 cables per hole so you don't need so many holes. You could do 4 per hole if you don't have high ambient temperatures or other factors, since just the derating for bundling will be pushing you as low as you want to go for ampacity.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Need to move twelve 14/2 NM cables horizontally through a exterior 2 X 6 non insulated load bearing garage wall. Want to bore 7/8 inch holes and run two 14/2 cables throught each hole. This means I need to bore 6 holes. Does anyone know the number of holes that can be bored in a load bearing 2 X 6 and the location / spacing of holes. Most of what I have read suggests that you bore the holes in the center of the stud but have seen different spacing requirements. I know about the max hole size for load bearing and non load bearing walls but do not want to run all twelve cables through one hole as I believe that it will not pass inspection.

:cool:

holes must be two inches apart.

stickboy1375

State of CT codes on drilling lumber.

State of CT codes on drilling lumber.

CHAPTER 3 - WIRING METHODS AND MATERIALS

(Add) 300.4.1 Drilling and notching.

(A) Structural floor, ceiling and roof members.

(1) Solid sawn lumber. Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-
sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member
and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member
shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches or
greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The
diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the
member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches to the top or bottom of the member, or to any
other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be
closer than 2 inches to the notch.

Exception: Notches on cantilevered portions of rafters are permitted provided the
dimension of the remaining portion of the rafter is not less than 4-inch nominal and the
length of the cantilever does not exceed 24 inches.

(2) Engineered wood products. Cuts, notches and holes bored in trusses, laminated veneer
lumber, glue-laminated members or l-joists are not permitted unless the effects of such
penetrations are specifically considered in the design of the member and permitted by the
manufacturer.

(B) Studs. Any stud in an exterior wall or interior bearing partition may be cut or notched to a
depth not exceeding 25 per cent of its width. Studs in nonbearing interior partitions may be
notched to a depth not to exceed 40 per cent of a single stud width. Any stud may be bored or
drilled, provided that the diameter of the resulting hole is no greater than 40 per cent of the stud

width, the edge of the hole is no closer than 5/8 inch to the edge of the stud and the hole is not
located in the same section as a cut or notch.
Exceptions:

1. A stud may be bored or drilled to a diameter not exceeding 60 per cent of its width,
provided that such studs located in exterior walls or interior bearing partitions are
doubled and not more than two successive studs are bored.

2. Approved stud shoes may be used when installed in accordance with the
manufacturer's recommendations.

(C) Top plates. When wiring or conduit is placed in or partly in an exterior wall or interior
bearing partition necessitating cutting, drilling or notching of the top plate by more than 50 per
cent of its width, a galvanized metal tie of not less than 0.054 inches thick (16 ga) and 1 %
inches wide shall be fastened to each plate across and to each side of the opening with not less
than eight 16d nails at each side or equivalent.

Exception: When the entire side of the wall with the notch is covered by wood structural

panel sheathing.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't know the number of holes allowed but you might want to check with your AHJ about how many cables are allowed in a hole. Here, they only allow 2 cables per hole, local thing and I don't like it.

stickboy1375

You are absolutely correct - It is the same here in my location - If I put three wires in a bored hole I will get red tagged - That is why I am trying to find out the number of holes I can bore into a 2 X 6.

I would ask your inspector since he's banning 2 wires to a hole, Ask him how many holes you can drill. :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Just drill one big 3" hole in the center so each edge of your hole is 1.25" from the edge of the framing member.

That should do it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.