Washing MAchine Circuit #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Our washing machine was run off my tenants panel downstairs and they are aware of it. I want to run the circuit to our panel directly above on the floor upstairs about 5'. I notice that the circuit is run with 14-2 romex to a 20a breaker. Why the hell did they run 14-2??? I already disconnected the wire and cut it ready to splice it and run it upstairs? Now what do i do? It is very hard to tell where this wiring is run as the panel is in the garage. I guess the only solution is to replace the circuit with #12...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If this circuit is for a washing machine only, a 15 amp circuit will suffice. Replace the breaker.

If this circuit serves the laundry area in total, it needs #12 for a 20 amp circuit.

No, washing machine only. My bad, I though it had to be #12 wire only.Well I discovered that my brother in law taped into a 20a circuit that was feeding the tenants kitchen and living room receptacles and put the washing machine and dryer on that same 20a circuit . I am so (upset). All the ceilings and walls are closed. Now what??? I know run a new ckt..tear the walls and ceiling up...

Last edited by a moderator:

jumper

No, washing machine only. My bad, I though it had to be #12 wire only.Well I discovered that my brother in law taped into a 20a circuit that was feeding the tenants kitchen and living room receptacles and put the washing machine and dryer on that same 20a circuit . I am so (upset). All the ceilings and walls are closed. Now what??? I know run a new ckt..tear the walls and ceiling up...

:)

3.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
makes one wonder about the rough-in inspection or lack thereof :D

hurk27

I believe this is an old apartment building, remember the dryer problem awhile back, dryer fed from the high leg of a 3 phase 4wire delta service?

in either case since new circuits need to meet todays codes all the above is a violation, any circuits tapped to another tenets unit is a big no-no unless you are all on the same common meter, and the other violation is that you don't have access to your OCPDs if they are in another apartment, How did any of this get through:happysad:

growler

wired before 1897?

Why 1897?? I have worked on some large commercial buildings that were built in the late 60"s and early 70's that never received any type of inspection. The areas where they were located hadn't adopted the nec and had no inspections.

There are plenty of houses that have never had any sort of inspection and many are not that old, maybe 40 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.