I really need a sign for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I installed a manual transfer switch for an acquaintance and the inspector told her he wanted a sign mounted above the meter that stated the following "2nd power source available/generator". I didn't think I needed a sign for a portable generator/manual transfer switch install. Oh well, so where do I get such a sign?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Isn't your transfer switch labeled utility-off-generator? What more do you need?

I wouldn't go so far as engraved placards unless you really want too, I'd just use a labelmaker.

jumper

My guess is, the inspector is applying 225.37? Did you ask for a reference?

Or maybe this:

702.7 Signs
(A) Standby. A sign shall be placed at the service-entrance
equipment that indicates the type and location of on-site optional
standby power sources. A sign shall not be required
for individual unit equipment for standby illumination.

kwired

Electron manager
I installed a manual transfer switch for an acquaintance and the inspector told her he wanted a sign mounted above the meter that stated the following "2nd power source available/generator". I didn't think I needed a sign for a portable generator/manual transfer switch install. Oh well, so where do I get such a sign?

Or maybe this:

702.7 Signs
(A) Standby. A sign shall be placed at the service-entrance
equipment that indicates the type and location of on-site optional
standby power sources. A sign shall not be required
for individual unit equipment for standby illumination.

What the inspector asked for does not comply either, it requires stating type and location of the standby source.

mark32

"Isn't your transfer switch labeled utility-off-generator?"

Yes, there is a "Utility shut off" label in the generator panel

"My guess is, the inspector is applying 225.37? Did you ask for a reference?"

I wasn't present for the inspection and he made no code references. I never thought of a portable generator as a "Stand by" power source.

kwired

Electron manager
"Isn't your transfer switch labeled utility-off-generator?"

Yes, there is a "Utility shut off" label in the generator panel

"My guess is, the inspector is applying 225.37? Did you ask for a reference?"

I wasn't present for the inspection and he made no code references. I never thought of a portable generator as a "Stand by" power source.

Read 702.1 and 702.2, a portable generator is included in types of stand by power sources.

Strife

There's times to fight an inspector and there ain't.
This is not one of them, even an engraved sign will cost you around 15 bucks. And adding the gas to go one more time there, and the 4 tapcons, I would think this is not a $100.00 job, even for an acquaintance.

mark32

Ok, I got the sign from Seton, thanks for the link tkb, it cost $65 with shipping. Anyway he returned to do the reinspection. Everything looked good BUT... he's making me change the factory installed backfed 60a breaker in the gen panel to a 40a because I fed it from the main panel w/#8 and protected it with a 40a breaker?! He told the homeowner that the #8 doesn't have enough ampacity to be on a 60a breaker. I went nuts on the phone when the homeowner told me this. How can an inspector make such a erroneous call? What if I had installed a MLO panel, would he make me install an additional ocpd for it? Baffoon.

cadpoint

Ok, I got the sign from Seton, thanks for the link tkb, it cost $65 with shipping. Anyway he returned to do the reinspection. Everything looked good BUT... he's making me change the factory installed backfed 60a breaker in the gen panel to a 40a because I fed it from the main panel w/#8 and protected it with a 40a breaker?! He told the homeowner that the #8 doesn't have enough ampacity to be on a 60a breaker. I went nuts on the phone when the homeowner told me this. How can an inspector make such a erroneous call? What if I had installed a MLO panel, would he make me install an additional ocpd for it? Baffoon.

What type of wire did you run, what section of the code says that #8 is good for 60 Amps?

ceb58

What would he do if he saw #10 on the 30amp on the gen.? Its time to meet him at the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.