disconnect switches ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMAO

I know it is possible to multiply disconnect switch current rating by using them in parallel. What can I do to multiply their voltage rating? can use them in series?:?
PS please don't laugh.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Multiple poles used in series are very common on DC systems, but it is up to each manufacturer. Sometimes a product simply says to use 2 pole devices, and other times they clearly say 'poles in series'.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You must be looking at their Solar PV disconnects. It's not that they are using multiple switch UNITS in series, they use a 4 pole switch with all 4 poles of the same switch wired in series to get the 1000VDC rating. But they have to be tested and listed that way, you can't do that on your own. Just FYI, you will not have UL on those switches, UL doesn't evaluate for 1000VDC (yet), but they do have some sort of IEC listing at 1000VDC.

You can use switches in parallel to increase the current rating as long as you have a mechanism that opens and closes all poles at the same time, and you cannot use them on inductive loads (not related to DC). ABB and several other mfrs have mechanisms like that for two switches in parallel, I've never seen one for more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.